banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Melodic solo I just recorded for a song off my band's upcoming EP.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Melodic solo I just recorded for a song off my band's upcoming EP.

My band is working on an Ep which will be the first new material we've recorded in at least 15 years. Drums/Vocals were recorded at a friend's studio & I've been recording the guitars myself at home..the bassist will be doing the same at his place.

Well here's the solo section (Rough mix with dry rhythm tracks) for the second song I've been working on that I just finished off with this morning..

Rhythm tracks (1 each ~ L/R are played through my mic'ed Bugera head/cab) & the solo (first half) is with my 'Damnation' distortion pedal/Mooer Ana-Echo analog delay --> Behringer Ultra G DI box --> Mixer/Recorder (Zoom MRS 1044) . The harmonized part (second half)is with my Mooer Pitch box thrown in as well.
    "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
    If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Re: Melodic solo I just recorded for a song off my band's upcoming EP.

Holy Alex Skolnik, Batman! That was terrific!
    Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
    My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Thanks man! That turned out better than I was expecting... tone-wise especially I've really managed to up my recording quality since I got an actual decent mic (chinese SM57 copy :P) instead of the hand-held recorder I've been using as an instrument mic

Here's my massive studio set up...haha.

Rhythm:

Amp...

To mixer:

Solo's:

Pedals...

Mixer...

If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

Hey man, the shortest distance between 2 points is a straight line, and don't let anyone tell you different!

Comment

well yeah ..sure ...plus tbh, it's the only option right now..

I actually don't think I require more/higher end (recording equipment) for the stuff I need to do. What I have now gets the job done great & the whole recording experience well exceeded my expectations in terms of the way it turned out & the accuracy of the tones I was able to capture. I made sure that everything was right the way I wanted it to sound (EQ-wise) in the mix before recording in terms of tone so there's minimal tweaking to be done afterwards. That Motorhead cover we just did, the guitars sounded so different coming out of the amp than they did recorded (maybe the mic'ing?) and I remember listening to the tone on the monitors at the time & thinking it (guitar tone) sounded way different, but thought it was probably just the monitors.

This time I made sure that the tone I heard in the room was as close as possible to the recorded tone I heard through my phones before I started recording & it paid off. The rhythm tracks were recorded completely dry but, for the solo..in the past I've recorded them dry & then whoever's doing the mixing added effects post production. (never been happy with the results though) Well, this time I decided to get the solo tone down on tape exactly the way I want it to sound 'finished' in the mix & I think I did the right thing...though I'll have to wait till it's all done to be sure.
          Last edited by Phantasmagoria; 11-25-2013, 09:36 PM.

Youtube

Comment

Cool.

HAve you thougt of:

Double tracking the harmony solo by running the fundamental on one side maybe 80/20 and the harmony line on the other maybe 20/80?

I'd have liked a little more seperation on the two lines.

But very cool!
            Originally posted by Bad City
            He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

The further apart you separate a harmony line across the stereo field, the less of a harmony it becomes because you cannot hear the interaction and phasing that comes from the notes interacting as well as the intonation at each part of the neck being different. Instead of a harmony, you have two lines recorded at different pitches.

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                Cool.

HAve you thougt of:

Double tracking the harmony solo by running the fundamental on one side maybe 80/20 and the harmony line on the other maybe 20/80?

I'd have liked a little more seperation on the two lines.

But very cool!
                Thanks! ...but I'd actually have no idea about how to go about that. I'm not going to be the one mixing..a friend of our singer's is doing that. I just barely got it all down on tape (Hard Disc) or whatever haha ..& for the first time I'm pretty happy with the recorded tone. (Not just the solo...but the guitar tracks I've been laying down in general). I think part of the reason why there's some lack of separation between the primary/secondary harmonies is because I ran my delay after the pitch box. Luckily it was set very low (more to sweeten than anything) but yeah...it was a mistake. You live & learn. Having said that running that harmonized section a bit higher in the mix (or lowering the backing rhythm tracks there) will give more clarity I'm guessing....so hopefully it's not a catastrophe haha.

Youtube

Comment

Originally posted by TwilightOdyssey View Post
                  The further apart you separate a harmony line across the stereo field, the less of a harmony it becomes because you cannot hear the interaction and phasing that comes from the notes interacting as well as the intonation at each part of the neck being different. Instead of a harmony, you have two lines recorded at different pitches.
                  You're totally right there... I actually used the onboard harmonizer effect for a solo I did before this one and it sounds quite different (clearer separation) but I prefer the tone here with the pitch box..

Youtube

Comment

Originally posted by TwilightOdyssey View Post
                    Interesting....

Did not know that. Even when they are harmonized (5ths, m3rds) - not unison? Even if there is a mix of both on each side? MAybe more than 80/20 - say 60/40
                    Originally posted by Bad City
                    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Working...
                    X