Whole Lotta Humbucker doing metal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whole Lotta Humbucker doing metal

Just stumbled across this on youtube, sounds pretty damn nifty. This is not me, its "Joseph Merino," just thought I'd share it.

Originally posted by Aceman
    It was the age of suave. Men were men, and women were smacked and thrown on the bed and loved it.

Re: Whole Lotta Humbucker doing metal

I guess that's not quite how I hear mine, but the amp is playing a big part in that at a guess. They sound like they handle the style well though.
    Warmoth Group @ Flickr : SDUGF group @ SoundCloud : Basic Guitar Setup

Blog @ Izdihar.com : Pics @ Flickr

I dream of a better world, where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned

Comment

Pickups made for tone usually sound better to me than ones made for output.

It sure helps to have it going into a Mike Fortin modded Kerry King Marshall too!
      Originally posted by Boogie Bill
      I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

I got some great black metal tones out of the Pearly Gates.

I still prefer medium-hot humbuckers and overdrives.

Director of Arizona Young Voters Initiative

https://www.azyoungvoters.org

Twitter:
        @ArizonaVoters

Comment

That sounded really good!
          My Blog: thisismyhatnow.blogspot.com

Originally posted by kevlar3000
          The smoker is great at adding a few decades, kinda like having Keith Richards breathe on yer guitar for a few hours...
          Originally posted by CTN
          I will kill you. Then I will resuscitate you, so you can watch me steal your new Tokai and play some horrible sounding ultra-dissonant death metal on it, then I will kill you again.
          FOR THE LOVE OF GOD! DC RESISTANCE DOES NOT DETERMINE ACTUAL OUTPUT OF A PICKUP.

Comment

I was JUST gonna ask if anyone saw this. I saw it last night.

I have to figure out what to put these in, but I definitely want a set.

Over in the Bill Steer thread, we did some research and it is about 98% confirmed that he uses T-tops or (for the sake of conversation) a lower output pickup.
            For the record, Lucy Diamond is a stage name and a movie reference and I'm a guy.

Also, the Dimarzio PAF Pros that came in my 1991 Blue Floral Ibanez Jem are some of the best paperweights ever made.

What are you doing right now? Thread.

Follow me on Instagram: @LucyDiamond777

Comment

sweet!

Comment

I really like the Sh-18 (WLH) pickups. Through that Fortin modded amp they are have much clarity, and bone crushing tone. I have to use a boost for the leads, but the tone is killer. Also my favorite neck pickup to date, and was using the Alnico II Pro for my neck pickups. I've use the WLH pickups, and the Black Winter mostly now. They sound awesome. But there is something I really dig about the Sh-18. Below is photos from the guitar in the video above.

Cheers,

-Jo

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2586.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	104.6 KB
ID:	5773188

Click image for larger version

Name:	WLHB.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	5773189
                http://WolvesofSkan.bandcamp.com

http://youtube.com/user/DoomBuggi

Comment

They'd better do metal. They are, after all, the unofficial Jimmy Page signature pickup, made in honor of one of heavy metal's most important founding fathers.
                  Originally posted by LesStrat
                  Yogi Berra was correct.
                  Originally posted by JOLLY
                  I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by ItsaBass View Post
                    They'd better do metal. They are, after all, the unofficial Jimmy Page signature pickup, made in honor of one of heavy metal's most important founding fathers.
                    The Whole Lotta Humbuckers are Killer. One of my favorite sets to at this time. They absolutely kill with a high gain amp, and I'm using the hell out of them. Going to use these pickups during the next recording session. I'm definitely switching most of the neck pickups out of my other guitars for WLH neck pickup as well. I think I finally found my favorite neck pickup. They are perfect, and pack that gritty goodness I've been looking for in a neck pickup.

Comment

Every luthier I've ever talked to has recommended using a low or medium output humbucker while letting your amp do the work for distortion. It does seem like a lower output pickup might result in better clarity

Comment

He also did a video with the black winters. Equally as cool

Comment

Just to play devils advocate, I'm going to suggest a Custom there.
                          "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Comment

It should be no surprise that the WLH can do metal. It's a better pickup than many other low output pickups that can also do metal...like stock Gibson pickups and the 59B.

My favorite neck pickups aren't even traditional humuckers, but others like Filtertrons, Mini Humbuckers, P-90's, etc. And I love the PGn and Seth N.
                            I want fatness with supreme clarity and balance.

For bridges, it's all over the map. I pretty much like everything between the WLH bridge, Seth Lover, C/59 Hybrid, Brobucker, and unoriented roughcast magnet Custom 5. Those are all of my favorite SD bridge humbuckers.

Metal isn't my primary style of music, but good pickups are good pickups, plugged into the appropriate amp.
                            Last edited by Gearjoneser; 12-11-2013, 12:43 PM.
                            Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                            I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

The WLH bridge pulls off metal riffage effortlessly through the right amp, or setup. I've been using the set that is featured in the video above at rehearsals, and it has no problem keeping up with the other guitarist who is using a Jackson rr24 with a AHB-3 and a Mesa Tri Rect. Helps that I'm using a high gain head, but I could pull it off with a 2203, or 6505 with a boost.

Comment

Working...
                              X