banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recommend a good microphone for recording?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Recommend a good microphone for recording?

1. SM-57, because it's affordable, it sounds fine, and it's all you need to get started.
    2. Yes, the Beta is worth the extra dough IMO, simply because of the more directional pickup pattern.
    Originally posted by LesStrat
    Yogi Berra was correct.
    Originally posted by JOLLY
    I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

The SM 57 is the "swiss army" mic. It does a lot, it's reasonably priced, and there's plenty of fakes out there (so go to this website for details on the real deal).

If you buy from a US retailer, until Dec 31, there's a rebate.
      sigpic
      "Add about a half-a-teacup o' bass...."
      --'King' Curtis Ousley

Visit me on Facebook
      Originally posted by Lewguitar
      In our heart of hearts we're love. That's who we really are.

Comment

Having an SM57 never hurts. If you record a lot of acoustic guitars you may check the Rode M3 too. It is a small diaphragm condenser, much like a cheaper AKG C1000 that doesn't shine in any particular application really but does everything decent from field recording to instrument and vocal recording.
        Wackor
        Ørdøg
        NecroPolo
        Diabolus in Musica
        SIDrip Alliance
        Book of Shadows
        RKH

Comment

thanks for the advice everyone, seems like shure sm57 is the pop vote. so i'll probably go with that, looks to be the cheapest also. i dont think condenser mics are a good option because i'm recording in my basement, background noise ect. if i'm feeling good i might opt for the beta57

Comment

As electric guitar players, whether we know it or not, our ears are already 'tuned' to the SM57 due to it ubiquity.

It's a great place to start. Later you may want to think about augmenting the 57 with another dynamic, condenser, or ribbon mic, and blend the two together. Certainly not a necessity, but gives you more options.
            Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
            My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

any thoughts on the mxl990/991 vs the shure 57/beta?

Get the guaranteed best price on Recording Microphone Packages like the MXL 990/991 Large- and Small-Diaphragm Condenser Microphone Bundle at Musician's Friend. Get a low price and free shipping on...

pretty good deal there ^

Comment

Working...
              X