Portable recording rig -- complete!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Portable recording rig -- complete!

I have been slowly building up a secondary recording rig over the past few months. The idea is that that I can easily fit everything into a single case for single instrument recording, writing drum parts, etc, as I track things in different places and do not own a car.

My 'big' setup is rack mounted and based around the Focusrite 18120; it has all my outboard gear, analogue desk, JBL 8" monitors, and everything is hardwired to a patch bay. I am using an iMac w Cubase.

The portable setup uses a Focusrite 2i2, 19" monitor and Mac Mini running Cubase. The entire setup breaks down in a minute and fits into a flight case.

I use an external hard drive to bring projects across from one setup to the other as needed.

So far it works a treat!
    Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
    My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Re: Portable recording rig -- complete!

I might have gone a model or two up on the Scarlett, but otherwise, that looks quite neat.
    Warmoth Group @ Flickr : SDUGF group @ SoundCloud : Basic Guitar Setup

Blog @ Izdihar.com : Pics @ Flickr

I dream of a better world, where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned

Comment

What's your control surface for mixdowns?
      sigpic
      "Add about a half-a-teacup o' bass...."
      --'King' Curtis Ousley

Visit me on Facebook
      Originally posted by Lewguitar
      In our heart of hearts we're love. That's who we really are.

Comment

I group tracks together into their own subgroup busses -- vocals, drums, synths, guitars, etc, and then assign those busses to hardware outputs on the 18i20, which has 10 analog outputs. Next year I would like to get an ADAT breakout box to get an additional 8 channels of output, but I can make due with 10.

Each output goes into my patch bay and from there I either run it directly out into a Mackie CR1604 or mult it to parallel effects, like compressors, which I then bring I to their own channels on the Mackie.

I use my DAW for basic overall level, EQ, and effects I do to have hardware for, and the aux sends on the Mackie for compression, delay, reverb, modulation, etc.

I then run the main outs of the Mackie back into the 18i20 and use the DAW to record the 2 channel mixdown.

All rides, panning, and effects sends are done as a mix performance through the Mackie.

The Mackie is calibrated so that -12dbu from Cubase is 0dBu on the outputs with the channel faders and main outputs at unity gain. This gives me the headroom I need to run an analogue mix at about +4db peaks on the Mackie and still have room before digital clipping.
        Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
        My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Working...
        X