banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

good quality portable digital audio recorder?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• good quality portable digital audio recorder?

I'm going to resume rehearsing regularly with a full band and need to upgrade and get a portable digital audio recorder. I have always recorded rehearsals in the past and the last rehearsal studio I was using had a CD recorder in the room.

I played with someone in December who had what might have been a Zoom.

I'm looking for a unit that records in stereo, saves to a card (hopefully .wav) and that's mountable on a mic stand.

I use Pro Tools if it matters and do not want to have to use any other DAW.

This is really just to get a decent recording to evaluate rehearsals: Not looking for super high quality.

Would like to keep it around $300 max.

All suggestions welcome.

Thanks.

dg
    '69 Fender Mustang bass
    '69 Gibson EB-1
    '76 Rickenbacker 4001 w/SD for Rick N & B
    '76 Fender Precision w/Dimarzio Model P
    '84 MIJ Fender Jazz Bass Special w/SD Hot for P neck & Dimarzio Model J for bridge [BEAD tuning]
    '99 Fretless MIJ Fender Precision/'87 MIJ Fender Squier Jazz hybrid w/SD QP for Jazz
    '12 MIM Fender Jazz w/Dimarzio Model J
    '14 Fretless Warmoth Custom T w/ SDCS Stack for SCPB N & B

Re: good quality portable digital audioo recorder?

Well...
    I've been wanting a Zoom H4n for a while. They are actually a 4 track with stereo top mounted mics, or stereo dual-input plugs on the bottom for like a mixdown. Turns out I'm behind the times, as the now have an H6 with modular microphone thingies like unidirectional, shotgun, cross stereo and duel TRS in for some reason and 4 discrete track recording with what looks like 2 inputs per side.

It's about the size of a 1590bb pedal, it looks like. I know some film guys will strap these onto their cameras for separate sound. It's $400, the H4 is $250, the H2 is what, looks like $200...

The H4 will probably do everything you want right now, but if you can push it up to the H6 it might take care of everything you will ever want.
    Originally posted by Funkfingers
    Music is for life. Without parole.

Comment

I have a Tascam DR1 that I love; there are newer models out now.
      Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
      My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Originally posted by jon the art guy View Post
        The H4 will probably do everything you want right now, but if you can push it up to the H6 it might take care of everything you will ever want.
        This is good to know. I'll check it out.

Thanks!

dg
        '69 Fender Mustang bass
        '69 Gibson EB-1
        '84 MIJ Fender Jazz Bass Special w/SD Hot for P neck & Dimarzio Model J for bridge [BEAD tuning]
        '99 Fretless MIJ Fender Precision/'87 MIJ Fender Squier Jazz hybrid w/SD QP for Jazz

Comment

I run a Sony SX-750 now but it's an older unit and I don't know what the current equivalent is. I throw it down where I'm playing and many times I just lay it in a seat in the 1st row. The quality of the recording with the built in high quality mics is consistently jaw dropping good. It flat has buried the Zooms and such I have owned in the past in every way. I currently own a Zoom Q-3 HD Video recorder and the sound quality with the little Sony using the internal stereo mics on both many times sitting side by side is always better than the Zoom. Wasn't cheap but is in your target budget and was for me worth every cent!! With what I do with all the spontaneous improv I always have multiple recorders both pure audio and video with me every single time I play out.
          A few live audio clips recorded with it.

It easily handles a loud environment this is a black church praise break.

It uses rechargeable batteries and will record not hours but DAYS of music at one time!
          Last edited by Ascension; 03-23-2014, 08:08 PM.
          Guitars
          Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
          Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Thanks, Ascension. It looks like the new version of what you have is this:

I need to read the specs in terms of the file formats it captures.

dg
            '69 Fender Mustang bass
            '69 Gibson EB-1

Comment

I still use my Boss BR-1600CD. The first true multitrack all in one I got. All you need to do is plug the mics in, it does the input line check automatically and then just jam! It has incredibly clean sound and I've captured some of the best performances with that unit and then it's a snap to just chuck it into your DAW with USB or a CD-RW.

If you need something more portable, the ZOOM MRS series can be battery powered. I had a Zoom MRS-8 but it only did 2 simultaneous multitracks. However it can't be beaten for portability and it even writes to SD cards.
              The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

The TASCAM DR-40 should do the job. 4 tracks, 2 built in mics, two aux mic inputs, phantom power, up to 96kHz/24-bit WAV/BWF or MP3 recording

Warmoth Group @ Flickr : SDUGF group @ SoundCloud : Basic Guitar Setup

Blog @ Izdihar.com : Pics @ Flickr

I dream of a better world, where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned

Comment

Thanks for the heads-up on the Tascam. I used a PortaStudio for years, so I have a favor4able impression of them overall.

One thing that's driving me a little nuts is that the guy I saw using one of these (who I am not in contact with) mounted it on a mic stand as soon as we got to the rehearsal space. But none of these seem to have that capability.

This Tascam is $100 off @ B&H till 03/27:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...le_Linear.html

A steal?
                  Last edited by dg27; 03-24-2014, 05:47 PM.
                  '69 Fender Mustang bass
                  '69 Gibson EB-1

Comment

That one says is has a tripod mount, so you should be good to go with that. You can see what looks to be a threaded mount point on the picture of the back of it. The price looks very good, but it's always worth shopping around to see if there are any better deals on offer.
                    Warmoth Group @ Flickr : SDUGF group @ SoundCloud : Basic Guitar Setup

Blog @ Izdihar.com : Pics @ Flickr

I dream of a better world, where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned

Comment

The h4 and h6 have a thread mount on the back of the device. it'd be mounted 90 degrees and on a tripod mount, which is just a 1/4in bolt of a currently unknown thread pitch. There's got to be a billion different mounting adapters for 5 bucks as well.

Comment

there's one. From Zoom of all people.

Comment

Thanks Chris of Arabia and jon the art guy...

B&H is my go-to source for a lot of stuff, so I'm going to check these out.
                          '69 Fender Mustang bass
                          '69 Gibson EB-1

Comment

I managed to locate and contact the guy I played with who had one of these: It was a Zoom H6 and he says he loves it...
                            '69 Fender Mustang bass
                            '69 Gibson EB-1

Comment

Originally posted by dg27 View Post
                              Thanks, Ascension. It looks like the new version of what you have is this:

I need to read the specs in terms of the file formats it captures.

dg
                              Look hard at the Sony man and yes that is the current version of what I have. It's not what you would think of first so might not have been on your radar. I have been using digital field recorders for over 10 years now every time I play out and that Sony SX has been by far the best unit I have owned. it's such a TINY little unit that easily fits in your pocket and then knocks you out with the record quality + is super easy to use. With the internal memory and how it's set up it's super easy to record edit and then dump directly to your PC. I have literately thousands of live tracks saved and many many posted on Box net or Sound Click.
                              Guitars
                              Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                              Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Working...
                              X