banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MIDI controller keyboard recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MIDI controller keyboard recommendations?

I'm looking for a MIDI controller keyboard. I'll be using it to track piano/synth parts in Logic Pro X, and possibly to launch loops via Ableton in a live setting. A 49-key would be the biggest I'd need, I'm open to compact units as well.

I've heard good things about the Novation LaunchKey line and some of the newer M-Audio stuff. What are some of your favorites? I know someone will ask about budget, it's flexible but I'll say $250-300 tops.
    After Osmosis | My Music | Instagram

Re: MIDI controller keyboard recommendations?

Arturia Keylab looks pretty good if you can find it gently used. It's got that old skoo Moog look with the wooden sides too.
    Originally posted by Funkfingers
    Music is for life. Without parole.

Comment

I have an Oxygen 49. Adequate for my needs. In fact, a lot of the extra controls are lost on me, though it can be handy to have a physical control there to sweep a filter or mangle some other synth parameter.

For me, it's all about the feel of the keyboard. I grew up playing piano so nothing comes close to the feel of a real weighted hammer-action keyboard IMO, but I can't justify spending lots of money just for that. So I look for keyboards that at least have a substantial feel to them, like the keys don't bend or wobble when I put weight on them. It's no surprise that key feel and action are sacrificed big time in the low end models.

For my band's album I rented a Roland RD-300NX and used it as both a synth and a MIDI controller depending on what I was doing. I would love to own something like that someday. The feel and action were perfect.
      Band: www.colouredanimal.com
      Twitter: www.twitter.com/mrperki
      Blorg: mrperki.tumblr.com

Read my Seymour Duncan blog posts

Comment

I'd want to be looking at both the Arturia, and the Novation offerings.
        Warmoth Group @ Flickr : SDUGF group @ SoundCloud : Basic Guitar Setup

Blog @ Izdihar.com : Pics @ Flickr

I dream of a better world, where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned

Comment

I have a Casio Privia and, as a person who didn't play piano until a few years ago, it's a pain with the weighted keys. I think they're semi-hammer, full weighted or something but they have a heavier resistance the harder/faster you push. I would rather have an unweighted or semiweighted workstation to do MIDI triggering personally.
          Originally posted by Funkfingers
          Music is for life. Without parole.

Comment

I am not a keyboard player.
            Alesis Q49 works fine for me.
            Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
            My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Great advices above. The M-Audio stuff is awesome. I've been using their 2-octave Ozone compact unit for... well, everything. I created all the orchestration stuff with that for hundreds of tracks. It was purchased somewhere around 2006 and it never failed me. During the years I met a lot of their keyboards and all of them were great, with the Axiom on front. If I wanted to buy a new keyboard now I'd go with the new Axiom Air 25:

Of course it's not probable as my 8-years old Ozone feels like new

+1 recommendation for the Arturia too. I really loved the action and the synth pack that you get with is really impressive. For its compact goodness, Keylab25 would be my choice:

Wackor
              Ørdøg
              NecroPolo
              Diabolus in Musica
              SIDrip Alliance
              Book of Shadows
              RKH

Comment

Working...
              X