ST's hearing voices tone test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ST's hearing voices tone test

I've been trying to cop the tone on ST's hearing voices. I'm in the ballpark, but this is a tricky one - the sound on that album is like a boogie set to sound like a marshall. If I ever get closer I'll compare the two here.

It's the gsp 1101 (mark IV model) with a boss super od in front going through a jtm30 with a sm57.

original:

the original is sort of fuzzy, yet clear, mid-rangey, but lots of low end or low mids. maybe better done with a real boogie. doesn't help I'm using headphones and my laptop speakers.
    Last edited by DankStar; 04-08-2014, 01:09 PM.

Re: ST's hearing voices tone test

i'd say you need to scoop some more mids out. You've got the tooth right, but the mid/upper mid push is way harder than on the original.
    Originally posted by Funkfingers
    Music is for life. Without parole.

Comment

unf, that old Suicidal Tendencies tone. I'm starting to think it was good production on the bass+guitar mixing. Reminds me of the way the old White Zombie albums have the ultra-dense tone going on when it was actually the bass following the guitar and pushing no character except compressed low-mid. Well...and a okay rack and a bretty gud face.
      Originally posted by Funkfingers
      Music is for life. Without parole.

Comment

Thanks for checking it out and eq tip. I'll see if I can get a bit closer when my ears are fresher.

I was thinking before I laid anything down the bass is probably helping with the wall of sound effect. There's a few tunes on the album where the guitars are alone for a good chunk of time ill see if I can analyze those more.

Given rocky used a mark iii then (I believe), he would have likely brought down the onboard eq at 750 hz. I'll start there and see what happens.

edit: quick test with 750 down a bit:

Last edited by DankStar; 04-08-2014, 03:55 PM.

Comment

nice guitar recordings!!! chug chug chug chug chug chug CHUG CHUG CHUG CHUG CHUG CHUG

Comment

Working...
          X