Adding HOT COUNTRY licks to my arsenal -- Rodney Gene content

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding HOT COUNTRY licks to my arsenal -- Rodney Gene content

I have decided that I need to learn something new! And I have also decided that something will be hot country licks! Being from a jazz/classical background but really a rock guy, I spent a LONG time developing technical licks. Over time I unlearned a lot and changed my style to something looser and grittier. Now that I am back doing prog again I feel the need to change/grow again and tighten my technique back. I am also VERY concerned about my soloing getting too samey ...

So I've been trawling YouTube and purchased Rodney Gene's instructional video.

I basically have a year before I need to cut the solos for my next album and want to show this shift by then ... unless it ends in a glorious train wreck lol

Will keep you all posted as things develop!
    Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
    My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Re: Adding HOT COUNTRY licks to my arsenal -- Rodney Gene content

Throwing a little thumb/finger plucking while skipping a string in a rock context can really add little something cool/funky/different when used judiciously, through a cranked Marshall.

Go for it!
    Originally posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

This video is insane. Rodney has insane country chops!

Comment

link please - to his instructional vid

Comment

Comment

Just woodshed'd (is that a word?) for an hour on the intro/modulation riff to Fire In The Barn, Rodney's instructional song. There is NOTHING like a nice regimented study to get your chops back into shape*, especially when it's pushing the envelope into styles you would not normally play. Fatigue (both mental and physical) sets in quicker since it's a new set of motions and new neural pathways.

The way this video is broken down is very clever. The ancillary materials (TAB and backing tracks) are also first rate and it's all presented in a very clear concise manner. Rodney has a laid back approach (to this NY'er at least) that is easy to follow and listen to.

*Not that I feel my chops are out of shape, but I've not been inspired to follow a daily practice routine of NEW material in a long time.

Comment

Killer licks, I need to get one of these. He's the epitome of cool.

Comment

Rodney -- do you use a compression pedal? I notice there is a pretty big volume difference when I switch from hybrid picking to just straight pick attacks. Wondering if a comp will even things out...

Comment

Got up this morning and went straight to the wood shed w my cuppa ... as my hands get used to this first picking pattern ... Rodney is 1,000% correct in his video, hybrid picking vastly increases your dexterity and speed. The opening modulation riff is also VERY Led Zep -- love it!

Comment

Thanks for the love gents! It is appreciated~
                    And thank you for the thread brother Ben, very appreciated!

The Zep reference is good to hear as I cut a few of my teeth on John Paul Jones.

In truth, those in the know will hear elements of 2112, A Farewell To Kings, Fragile, Close to The Edge etc. in all my original country stuff. I think it is it important to take the ideas into new territory and new ideas are birthed through hybrid technique alone.
                    In one of the recent SD demos where I was asked to play country styles I put in a couple riffs inspired from La Villa Strangiato but it goes unnoticed because it is in country context. Still I love to hear it! LOL.

Compressor? Indeed Ben. And the rendering of the vids to MP4 compresses the bajeebs out of it. It's not easy to sound full and articulate while playing clean so the comp helps.
                    I have a few of them, the usual suspects and one of them a vintage Boss is for sale in the Trading Post, LOL. Noisy tone sucker heard on countless 90s live hits by Brent and Vince. (Trust me, those weren't CS-2's in the studio)

The Wampler Ego is still the winner tonally for me. I just wish it weren't blue but it is my mainstay, LOL. I have a 2-knob Keeley and newly acquired cmatmods deluxe. I bet the Xotic SP will replace one of them at some point. I actually want a 2nd Keeley for an experiment board. I actually just need to play more.

Thanks again,

Cheers,

RG
                    Rodney Gene Junior - My Artist Page And Gear Affiliations Austin Texas

Comment

I have a Pigtronix Philosopher's Tone in storage, gonna have to pull it out.
                      Very serendipitous that I remembered about this video as I have been known to play in a progressive/art rock style from time to time.

Comment

Made it up to the first bridge ... hoo-boy, this is gonna take a couple of days to get down at slow speed.

Comment

yeah, I'm a bit reluctant to learn hybrid picking because it'll be like playing guitar for the first time - uphill battle.

Comment

I live for uphill battles lol

Comment

Working...
                            X