Misha Mansoor's Guitar Recording Tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Misha Mansoor's Guitar Recording Tips

Whilst Periphery might not to be everyone's taste, it's not a bad little video for someone just starting out with recording.

Warmoth Group @ Flickr : SDUGF group @ SoundCloud : Basic Guitar Setup

Blog @ Izdihar.com : Pics @ Flickr

I dream of a better world, where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned

Re: Misha Mansoor's Guitar Recording Tips

Why record in stereo for a mono type track? (i.e., a track that will likely be panned hard L or R)

I don't agree with "let's copy and paste this" riff for the next measure or so - at 8:32. If you're a guitarist, play the whole thing, every part. There's always nuances, that's called a performance.

I never realized double tracking smoothed out a tone, that's interesting.

I'd like to see one of these for drum programming. I know my method is super time intensive, I'd love to learn some shortcuts.
    Last edited by DankStar; 05-08-2014, 05:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DankStar View Post
      Why record in stereo for a mono type track? (i.e., a track that will likely be panned hard L or R)

I don't agree with "let's copy and paste this" riff for the next measure or so - at 8:32. If you're a guitarist, play the whole thing, every part. There's always nuances, that's called a performance.

I'd like to see one of these for drum programming. I know my method is super time intensive, I'd love to learn some shortcuts.
      for mono tracks I just duplicate and then hard pan right and left, so that the center is open for the bass/drums

I dont copy/paste either! thats looping like top 40 backing track stuff. Ideally I like to capture the whole track in a single performance with no warts (but many takes), I feel that is most legit and builds chops.

What are you doing for drums? Mine take like no time, but they are not that intricate.

I must say that for Misha's style, that *AxeFXII SOUNDS GREAT WITH NO TWEAKING*

Comment

Originally posted by DankStar View Post

I have no idea why he'd patch his Axe Fx in stereo but only record one of the inputs. It's possible that he's using stereo effects on other takes / tracks and didn't want to re-patch for this, but it's the only reason I can think of.

The reason he's doing the copy/paste thing is most likely consistency since he's in a rather technical metal band. I generally agree with you on this approach, but I remember using it for a track once where I was fading in the guitar with a volume pedal to get some synth-like tones. I wanted all of the fades to be as close to perfect as possible so I made a comp take with the best fade of each chord from several takes and copy-pasted it for the entire track.
        Originally posted by crusty philtrum
        And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

maybe he has various cabs / IRs that are already panned in his "mono" source and it is really a stereo source? various mics and cabs and whatnot. or maybe effects like delay/reverb that make it into stereo.

with the dual inputs, maybe one is the bare track that is not "reamped" and is just a stem? I would figure USB would be better than the route he chose.

Comment

Dudes got so much gear. Anything is possible.

Comment

Originally posted by everdrone View Post
              What are you doing for drums? Mine take like no time, but they are not that intricate.*
              Typically I'll do it in sections with an Alesis tabletop midi pad device (triggering slate), then add/delete/change some hits in the midi editor. I'll do a pass with the bass drum, hihats, and snare, then another pass or two for toms, crashes, etc. It's daunting getting started but fun once I get into it.
              Last edited by DankStar; 05-08-2014, 09:32 PM.

Comment

wow man, that is cool! I would like to try that on a similar level and am saving up for a roland vdrums to do it.

my way is cheap and fast, just use midi toontrack, drop and drag:

Periphery drummer Matt Halpern takes polyrhythmic and “Djent” drumming to a completely new level of sophistication.

Comment

Working...
                X