banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kramer HLS on sale from Waves for only $49!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kramer HLS on sale from Waves for only $49!

Regularly priced at $200, I couldn't pass up this deal; Kramer HLS channel strip for only $49. The sale lasts until tomorrow night, I think. That's Sunday, June 22, 2014.

This is the third Kramer plugin from Waves I own -- I also have Kramer Master Tape and Kramer Pi.

HLS is modeled from the old Helios console at Olympic Studios. I was able to strap it across a few different tracks this evening and ... it's just as good as the other Kramer plugins. The EQ definitely has that passive Pultec-y thing going on, but is a bit more subtle. It seems to enhance and open up the tonality a bit more than the Pultec does.

The channel section is great. By balancing the input and output levels you can add quite a lot of dirt and character to a track without the level getting all crazy. I was able to dial in a really growly bass part that had plenty of punch and cut.

On a kick drum track, I was able to add heft to the kick, but also added some warmth and bloom between 60-100 Hz.

Turning up the mids on guitar gave the tone an openness that sounded very musical and sweet but still cut nicely without getting shrill.

Like the Pultec and other vintage style EQs, the Helios is less about specifics and more about sculpting a general tone. A 2nd parametric would be needed to fine tune if this didn't get you close enough.

I really, REALLY like the Kramer plugins from Waves and highly recommend them. Not really your cup of tea if you are looking for modern production, however; they are all very coloured and will impart a fair amount of self noise and grit.
    Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
    My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.
Working...
X