banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Difference between headphone & line outputs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Difference between headphone & line outputs?

I only just realized there's a difference between the two/possible impedance mismatch or something & frankly, I think that's what's causing the problem with my looper recordings. When I play with my headphones plugged straight into the looper's 'headphone out' jack everything sounds crisp & clear..pretty much like a sweet studio mix.

But when I set it up to record ...ie, output from the looper's headphone jack --> Digital handheld recorder's "line-in" input using an (audiophile quality OFC) stereo TRS cable (headphones plugged into the recorder's "headphone out" jack to monitor in real time while I'm playing) the backing track disappears/things get muddy/tones get rounder & duller/lack presence etc.

Anyway there's a big audible difference between the two and I was wondering if there's a device or something to match levels or impedances or whatever? Basically anything that will make the "line-in" recorded track sound like what I hear with my phones plugged straight into the looper? Because it's obvious that the looper's actually outputing far better quality audio than the stuff that gets recorded
    Last edited by Phantasmagoria; 02-25-2015, 03:48 AM.
    "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
    If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Re: Difference between headphone & line outputs?

Does the looper have any output besides headphone? The headphone output varies between manufacturer, some are designed to carry line level (with gain), some are not. However, as long as you watch the output level, it should not have significant impact on the audio.

Another thing to check is that both the looper and recorder are sending/receiving stereo information. What you are describing can happen when you are sending audio in stereo but receiving it in mono. If the looper is putting out stereo info but the recorder is mono balanced TRS, it's going to sound very poo-like and will have phase issues with things like reverbs and delays.

Finally, it could also be a duff cable or input on your recorder. I would try a different cable and a different input and see if it changes.
    Last edited by TwilightOdyssey; 02-25-2015, 05:44 AM.
    Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
    My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Re: Difference between headphone & line outputs?

do you get the same inferiority in what is recorded, or is it only your monitoring with headphones hooked onto headphone out of the recorder that is affected.

on some digital recorders the input jack functions both as a mic-in and line-in with you having choose in between the two with the mic-in requiring you to set gain levels and line-in as is.

for there to be an issue with an impedance mismatch; the output impedance of the looper should be higher than the input impedance of the recorder. check the specs; if output impedance < input impedance, then there is no issue. same applies to recorder head phone out -> headphones.

Comment

Re: Difference between headphone &amp; line outputs?

Originally posted by TwilightOdyssey View Post
        Does the looper have any output besides headphone? The headphone output varies between manufacturer, some are designed to carry line level (with gain), some are not. However, as long as you watch the output level, it should not have significant impact on the audio.

Another thing to check is that both the looper and recorder are sending/receiving stereo information. What you are describing can happen when you are sending audio in stereo but receiving it in mono. If the looper is putting out stereo info but the recorder is mono balanced TRS, it's going to sound very poo-like and will have phase issues with things like reverbs and delays.

Finally, it could also be a duff cable or input on your recorder. I would try a different cable and a different input and see if it changes.
        Thanks, No it's just the single headphone out on the looper. Maybe I'll try a different cable then (only have a mono one besides the stereo one I use.) Not sure about the line input on the recorder though I suppose it's stereo? (there's also an external mic input & that would be mono I guess..). One other thing, does it matter what the master volume of the pedal is set to (does that affect anything) I always have it maxed (factory default) going out of the looper.

Originally posted by koshikas View Post
        do you get the same inferiority in what is recorded, or is it only your monitoring with headphones hooked onto headphone out of the recorder that is affected.

on some digital recorders the input jack functions both as a mic-in and line-in with you having choose in between the two with the mic-in requiring you to set gain levels and line-in as is.

for there to be an issue with an impedance mismatch; the output impedance of the looper should be higher than the input impedance of the recorder. check the specs; if output impedance < input impedance, then there is no issue. same applies to recorder head phone out -> headphones.
        Yeah, the recorded output sounds just like the monitored sound that I hear through my phones coming out of the recorder. (ie..pretty inferior to the direct headphone tone from the loop pedal). No, this one has separate mic/line inputs. Thanks..I'll check the manuals/specs and see if the impedance is as it should be for both (pedal/recorder)
        Last edited by Phantasmagoria; 02-25-2015, 10:50 AM.

If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

maybe it just sounds like that through the headphones during monitoring but it's actually capturing a good quality signal? how's it sound played back through some monitors?

Comment

sounds bad lol (it's what I post up here)

Youtube

Comment

Originally posted by Phantasmagoria View Post
              One other thing, does it matter what the master volume of the pedal is set to (does that affect anything) I always have it maxed (factory default) going out of the looper.
              now that could very well overdrive the ADC in the recorder, try turning down the volume of the looper and see.

Comment

Originally posted by koshikas View Post
                now that could very well overdrive the ADC in the recorder, try turning down the volume of the looper and see.
                That would result in digital clipping, I would think.
                Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
                My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Ok guys, thanks again.. I'll give it a go when I hook it up next....how much would you think I should reduce it by? It's on full output now (level: 100)

I just tried a little jam a short while ago with a different cable and it sounded the same as always ...so I'm hoping ^ that's the problem.

Youtube

Comment

Working...
                  X