banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

condenser mic positioning options (vocals)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• condenser mic positioning options (vocals)

I'll be recording some vocals using a Samson MTR201 condenser mic, which has a cardioid pattern.

I'm curious: Are there advantages/disadvantages to coming from above (with the mic upside down in the cage on a boom)?

That's the way mics have always been set up in any studios I've used. I believe in some cases the studio will do that with tube mics to prevent overheating.

But what about in this context? I like it that way because the mic seems more out the way.

I googled this and like a lot areas the results were pretty inconclusive. Wondering what the consensus is here.

dg
    '69 Fender Mustang bass
    '69 Gibson EB-1
    '76 Rickenbacker 4001 w/SD for Rick N & B
    '76 Fender Precision w/Dimarzio Model P
    '84 MIJ Fender Jazz Bass Special w/SD Hot for P neck & Dimarzio Model J for bridge [BEAD tuning]
    '99 Fretless MIJ Fender Precision/'87 MIJ Fender Squier Jazz hybrid w/SD QP for Jazz
    '12 MIM Fender Jazz w/Dimarzio Model J
    '14 Fretless Warmoth Custom T w/ SDCS Stack for SCPB N & B

Re: condenser mic positioning options (vocals)

Makes no difference to me; but it does make it easier to get the singer and music stand w lyrics under there! I like my singers close to the mic; as close as possible, with a healthy dollop of compression; maybe even 2 compressors in series, depending on what I'm going for.
    Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
    My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Originally posted by TwilightOdyssey View Post
      it does make it easier to get the singer and music stand w lyrics under there!
      You hit the nail on the head, TO--thanks. That's my number one concern. I have a pretty massive boom, so doing it is no problem.

I just don't know and couldn't determine whether there was some law of audio physics involved that would make this a bad idea.
      '69 Fender Mustang bass
      '69 Gibson EB-1
      '84 MIJ Fender Jazz Bass Special w/SD Hot for P neck & Dimarzio Model J for bridge [BEAD tuning]
      '99 Fretless MIJ Fender Precision/'87 MIJ Fender Squier Jazz hybrid w/SD QP for Jazz

Comment

Oh, one other thing -- even though the mic is cardioid, condenser mics have a very sensitive high frequency response which can exasperate less-than-ideal room conditions, especially when you apply heavy compression. A great trick around this is to place an extra boom mic stand on both sides of the singer and mic and make a "T" shape, then hang a blanket across them and raise them so your singer is sandwiched between the 2 blankets; this will cut down on room reflections and result in a cleaner sounding recording.

It will look something like this:

Comment

cardioid, condenser mics have a very sensitive high frequency response which can exasperate less-than-ideal room conditions, especially when you apply heavy compression.
          Great tip and good to know. An NYC apartment is not the best environment.

A great trick around this is to place an extra boom mic stand on both sides of the singer and mic and make a "T" shape, then hang a blanket across them and raise them so your singer is sandwiched between the 2 blankets; this will cut down on room reflections and result in a cleaner sounding recording.
          Great idea. What's ironic is that I did exactly this with one boom tonite for completely different reasons. I need to start filming instructional videos related to work and need to hang a backdrop.

The biggest question I have related to this vocal recording technique is whether what I believe might be a Pokemon (?) blanket is critical to the overall tone. (I don't have kids.)

Thanks for sharing your expertise.
          '69 Fender Mustang bass
          '69 Gibson EB-1

Comment

No real adv of having it either way, the capsule doesn't know the difference imo. I've also found that I've gotten the best performance out of singers who don't read the lyrics as they sing. Allows them to feel it better than simply reading. I mean, everyone else comes in rehearsed, why not the singer? Having the lyrics as reference is fine, but reading full lines as you sing? Personally, I think that's a ****ing joke.

However, millions of records prove my point to be moot.
            TOUQUE ROCK...EH???? I AM CANADIAN

Comment

I don't need it for the purposes of reading lyrics (and agree from that standpoint). I just like the mic out of the way (and didn't know whether the capsule knows the difference).

Thanks for weighing in.
              '69 Fender Mustang bass
              '69 Gibson EB-1

Comment

Unfortunately, the Pokemon blanket IS critical. You are doomed, give up now.

Comment

Unfortunately, the Pokemon blanket IS critical. You are doomed, give up now.
                  Lucky for me, Target to the rescue. I think there could also be inspirational value for the talent with this one as well, in a cheerleader sort of way.

'69 Fender Mustang bass
                  '69 Gibson EB-1

Comment

Ha! Awesome!

Comment

Working...
                    X