banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Merchant Princes songwriting demo -- this is a long one!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Merchant Princes songwriting demo -- this is a long one!!

Once I got into the groove, writing the songs for FOUNDATION came together rather quick. This is the songwriting demo for the final song, The Merchant Princes (working title). The first few minutes is a reprise from the 20-minute long opening track and after that it goes in a couple of different directions from full-on Zep inspired riffing to moody symphonic prog (the ending reminds me bit of Coheed in Cambria in terms of feel).

Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
    My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Re: The Merchant Princes songwriting demo -- this is a long one!!

Running commentary: love the fluttering notes around 1:43. The shift at 3:17 felt really sudden but in retrospect I really like that lick so maybe some slightly more aggressive crossfading would help. The shift at 4:45 was point blank too sudden for me, but the riff that comes in at 5:10 makes up for it. Not a fan of the solo work in the next section but i do really like that riff/change -- reminded me a little of dream theater. The shift into piano and atmospheric sounds also seemed quite dramatic. I also feel like I've actually heard that same string melody in a movie somewhere. The next bit when the guitars come in is wonderful -- amazing work here. The "coheed and cambria" feeling part makes for an epic ending. I feel like if you reigned in the middle section and did something to make the synths more unusual sounding I'd listen to this on repeat. I really like this new direction of yours man!
    Last edited by AmirH; 04-11-2015, 03:34 PM.
    Schecter C-1 elite(alt-5, Fullshred)
    Fender Strat (Jb jr, ssl-2)
    Mesa Boogie Rectoverb
    Marshall 1960a
    Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Comment

Thanks for listening and the detailed notes!

This is several very large steps from complete, and I agree that it sounds unfinished because it is.

Comment

Anytime! The production is pristine by the way, and you're getting very convincing sounds out of logic drummer considering it's only a foundation/songwriting demo. Your growth has been inspiring.
        Schecter C-1 elite(alt-5, Fullshred)
        Fender Strat (Jb jr, ssl-2)
        Mesa Boogie Rectoverb
        Marshall 1960a
        Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

...Now that was some story....
            Yeah like AmirH I really like this style of yours...
            For an unfinished thing it was really really good!

Comment

Thanks, Vasshu!

Oh, regarding the fluttering note lead: that was really tough to play! 6 note pattern (2 notes per string over 3 strings) harmonised in diatonic thirds. Many, many takes to get that sounding decent!

Comment

Awesome tune..that riff at the start kills (same one you posted before) & the bit at about 9.00 min is EPIC as hell!
                "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
                If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

Haha, I've heard that opening progression before in another clip haven't I? It's awesome to hear it coming together in this song. That's a trip at about 1:30, love it. The way it drops off a cliff at 2:20 is very cool, reminds me of great techno how it has this epic, intense section and then suspends the listener. I love the intense guitar at about 5 minutes, when you realize the merchant princess is sexy. I like the smooth finish.

Good jam man.
                  Soundcloud

Comment

Working...
                  X