Cell Phone Recording?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cell Phone Recording?

I'd like to get back in to recording and the like, but my resources are limited. My current setup doesn't allow for "plug and play" and I would instead need to rely on the microphone of my Samsung S6 Active. My laptop is an Acer Chromebook, so I would think I'm fairly limited in my current recording abilities. Any suggestions from those with much more brains than myself?
    This is the very perfection of a man, to find out his own imperfections. - St. Augustine of Hippo

Re: Cell Phone Recording?

No reason you couldn't record over backing tracks, but you'll struggle to do any kind of meaningful mixing or editing really. I'm by no means an expert, but I think the biggest problem you might have is trying to adjust the mix because I assume you'll be running a DSP on the S6 no?

A Chromebook is pretty limited on the recording side too.

Comment

This might help in terms of 'daw' for the chromebook.

Using the mic in your samsung S6 is going to yield poor results regardless of, well, anything.
      TOUQUE ROCK...EH???? I AM CANADIAN

Comment

Originally posted by Kamanda~SD View Post
        This might help in terms of 'daw' for the chromebook.

Using the mic in your samsung S6 is going to yield poor results regardless of, well, anything.
        I really like Audacity although one issue I have is that when I record multiple tracks the timing of the subsequent tracks are all delayed. It can be fixed by cropping the beginning and then moving the tack over...just tedious with multiple tracks to get them all lined up perfectly. No issues with Garageband.

Audacity is fun to change the pitch and speed of songs

Comment

That's an issue with your configuration, not audacity itself. Don't have that problem when I need to use it quick. Audacity isn't available for chromebook anyways, read the article!

Comment

Originally posted by Kamanda~SD View Post
            That's an issue with your configuration, not audacity itself. Don't have that problem when I need to use it quick. Audacity isn't available for chromebook anyways, read the article!
            Hmm, I'm not the most tech savy person...tried to fix it but couldn't. Its fun to mess around in but Garageband is super simple and doesn't have the problem.

And I don't have a Chromebook...so don't know why I have to read the article again as I wasn't arguing that is was available for Chromebook lol

Comment

Use whatever works! ...and because we are trying to help OP here, not discuss audacity.

Comment

I use an iPhone and have had good luck with this cable for plug and play into Garageband on my phone. I don't have any experience with Samsung phones, but here is a post that mentions something called uloops.

Comment

I'm going to assume that Samsung and Amplitube would offer this for the Active as well, but I can't be sure.

Free Amplitube LE for Samsung S6 users.

Better yet, the Amplitube for Samsung Pro Audio works with the new iRig HD-A

Go iRig for Samsung because your Chromebook is incapable of doing audio production.
                  Best amp tech I've ever had and hands down one of the best electronic/sound wizards in the NC Piedmont.

Comment

Originally posted by beandip View Post
                    I'd like to get back in to recording and the like, but my resources are limited. My current setup doesn't allow for "plug and play" and I would instead need to rely on the microphone of my Samsung S6 Active. My laptop is an Acer Chromebook, so I would think I'm fairly limited in my current recording abilities. Any suggestions from those with much more brains than myself?
                    I say just use what you got. maybe later look at more stuff. I have a zoom q2hd that I paid $70 for that I record all my videos with, and attach a mic to. I used to record video with an extremely primitive camera that had video ability but made the upgrade a year ago. I use Reaper to mix, its $50.

Comment

That's what I'm thinking. It'll be all acoustic anyway, so why not just use the voice recorder? At least until I'm able to work back in to the hobby and justify some basic recording gear like I had so many years ago.
                      This is the very perfection of a man, to find out his own imperfections. - St. Augustine of Hippo

Comment

That's what I'm thinking. It'll be all acoustic anyway, so why not just use the voice recorder? At least until I'm able to work back in to the hobby and justify some basic recording gear like I had so many years ago.
                        As long as you don't overload the input, it should sound decent. If you have a good sounding room and you are in the right spot, the voice recorder should do a good job. I'll bet that the recorder is omni-directional so that should help as far as placement of the S6 goes in relation to the instrument or voice. Hopefully the phone will let you adjust the input level or maybe there would be an app for that.
                        Best amp tech I've ever had and hands down one of the best electronic/sound wizards in the NC Piedmont.

Comment

Originally posted by zenmindbeginner View Post
                          As long as you don't overload the input, it should sound decent. If you have a good sounding room and you are in the right spot, the voice recorder should do a good job. I'll bet that the recorder is omni-directional so that should help as far as placement of the S6 goes in relation to the instrument or voice. Hopefully the phone will let you adjust the input level or maybe there would be an app for that.
                          No, it's pretty bare bones. Gotta tell ya, I'm regretting getting rid of all my old recording equipment.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Comment

Look around, you can find older gear for cheap that can serve as an all-in-one interface+effects for the computer, like this Tascam PocketStudio 5:

I've got one, and while the Compact Flash cards are limited, you can at least run the signal out to your computer (assuming it has some sort of input).

I'm sure someone makes an inexpensive (under $100) USB interface?
                            Originally posted by Brown Note
                            I'm soooooo jealous about the WR-1. It's the perfect guitar; fantastic to play, balances well even when seated and *great* reach for the upper frets. The sound is bright tight and very articulate. In summary it could only be more awesome if it had b00bs and was on fire!
                            My Blog

Comment

No, it's pretty bare bones. Gotta tell ya, I'm regretting getting rid of all my old recording equipment.
                              Yeah but, your phone is bad arse powerful... I mean, it's really powerful and totally capable of recording music through IK Multimedia stuff

Their Microphone (iRig Mic HD-A) comes with everything you need and it's only $100.

Comment

Working...
                              X