Warm up Tips: PART II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warm up Tips: PART II

Well, here's the second installment of the warm up exercises.
    This part is divided into 3 sections: Finger Gymnastic #2, Major Scale Pos. 2, Alternate Picking Exercise #1

Finger Gymnastic #2
    The fingering on the first gymnastic was 1-2-3-4 ascending, and 4-3-2-1 descending. The fingering for this one is 1-3-2-4 ascending and 4-2-3-1 descending.

Please remember: observe the picking strokes, accent the first note in each sequence, and start slow -- accuracy then speed!

Major Scale Pos.2
    This is the second position of the major scale. Yes, the left hand notes are fretted in the same place! Hower, the fingering is different. Why is this? This is because you should be able to play any scale from any chord you are holding. When you memorize all 8 scale postions, you can rip into scales not matter what chord you are playing.

And if you only play power chords? It's still a good thing to learn, so stop being lazy!

You can only have 5 attachments, so the lesson is continued below ...
    Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
    My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Re: Warm up Tips: PART II

The last part of this installment is one of my favourite alternate picking exercises. What I do is play this through twice, then slide down one fret, and play the same pattern, working my way down to the 1st fret and then back up again. MAKE SURE TO OBSERVE THE PICKING DIRECTION NOTED!!

PLEASE NOTE: As I said in Part 1, there will be a total of 12 parts to this series. When you have all 12 parts, you will have the warm up routine that I use every day!

Enjoy!!!!

Comment

Fantastico!
      Marshall JVM 410C
      Mesa Boogie DC-3
      ~2010 USA G&L Legacy Special/S-500 bastard-child, Tobaccoburst.
      1996 USA G&L Legacy, Honeyburst, SSS , Dimarzio Injector/Kinman AVn69/AVn69
      2007 USA Gibson LP Studio, Stock PUPs
      2005 USA EBMM Silhouette Special,Hardtail , Tobaccoburst,SSS Stock PUPs
      1999 USA Peavey Wolfgang,Flame Cherryburst Trem
      2005 MIM Fender Tele, Hotrails/Stock Neck
      1997 Yamaha Pacifica 812 EMGs

Comment

Got em, thanks Benny. Hopefully, this may compensate a bit for the fact I had a guitar teacher for 2 months in my entire life

Gibson Les Paul Traditional
        Norman B50 Acoustic Guitar

Comment

Bump ...

Comment

Thanks, buddy. I agree, those are great for warming up the ol' fingers. I've used some similar exercises (well, some are exactly the same so perhaps your guitar teacher went to the same school as mine). The nice thing about them, is that if you're short on time like I normally am, and can't get around to serious practicing for a few days, and just want to at least touch the guitar once a day it's good to go through about 5-10 minutes of those warmups just to keep you loose from day to day.

I've always taken those patterns straight vertically up from string to string, and never considered moving longitudally left to right, so I'll have to give that a try.

Off topic here. I'm Mr. Mom today as wifey is in a class. So, I don't like TV and rarely get to listen to music properly since my wife's not so much into the metal. So, I throw in an old Dokken video to time warp back to 87. I found the bestest greatest bestest 80's tone of all time. It happens right after the In my Dreams solo, it's the main riff, but for some reason right after the solo, the riff just sounds to die for. It kills even on a mono-speaker TV. It's heavy, but mellow, thick and swirly. That's the tone that's in my head.

Dood, thats million dollar tone, and I want it.
            Originally posted by Scott_F
            On that day, should I ever be so unlucky, I will expect an unholy assault of pure metal mayhem attacking all my senses with a little tiny voice in the background screaming Effing Hails!

Comment

On Under Lock And Key, the rhythm tone is really not that gainy; nice and thick, tho. It's definitely due, in part, to some serious outboard EQs and the recording console, as I've recently learned mixing my own stuff.

Dude, you will never get that tone from a Line 6 product. You know what you need: a tube head!!

Comment

Originally posted by TwilightOdyssey
                Dude, you will never get that tone from a Line 6 product. You know what you need: a tube head!!
                I couldn't agree more. The L6 is too buzzy. The Marshall with a Fulltone is gonna happen someday, I swear.
                Originally posted by Scott_F
                On that day, should I ever be so unlucky, I will expect an unholy assault of pure metal mayhem attacking all my senses with a little tiny voice in the background screaming Effing Hails!

Comment

Working...
                X