Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can somebody identify these mics?

Re: Can somebody identify these mics?

The on on the left looks very similar to an RCA 44, and I can't quite place the one on the right. Any hints as far as where they were seen?
    Originally posted by crusty philtrum
    And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Originally posted by dystrust View Post
      The on on the left looks very similar to an RCA 44, and I can't quite place the one on the right. Any hints as far as where they were seen?
      The one on the right reminds me of a Studio Projects C1, but those mics are entirely different leagues; the former would only be found in a high budget studio whereas the latter wouldn't be found outside of a low budget home studio.
      And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Originally posted by dystrust View Post
        The one on the right reminds me of a Studio Projects C1, but those mics are entirely different leagues; the former would only be found in a high budget studio whereas the latter wouldn't be found outside of a low budget home studio.
        Well you don't know what effect they want to achieve by recording with 2 mics. Maybe they specifically need some non-standard fidelity to mix in or use for other purposes.

Comment

Left does look like a 44.

Where is this pic from?
          TOUQUE ROCK...EH???? I AM CANADIAN

Comment

There are 3 mics there..the left looks like RCA44, the middle looks like a Neumann, could be a fairly common one like a 103, and the one on the right has a Sennheiser look to it. And the point of the question is?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Comment

^^
              I think the thing on the right is a pop shield, not a mic.

Comment

^^ Agreed, no idea what picture he's looking at. The right one looks NOTHING like a 103, doesn't look like any neumann I've seen

Comment

Originally posted by Kamanda~SD View Post
                  ^^ Agreed, no idea what picture he's looking at. The right one looks NOTHING like a 103, doesn't look like any neumann I've seen
                  Agreed. The only Neumann I've seen with that type of head basket is a U47/48, but they're much fatter and not as tall. I've been thinking about this thread a bit in the last few days because I seriously doubt anyone would hang a steaming pile like the Studio Projects C1/C3 next to an RCA44. A few other contenders I thought of:

Advanced Audio CM12
                  Bock 195 - Never seen a silver one though
                  Peluso 22 251
                  Peluso P-12

Other than Studio Projects, the only mics I've seen with that closed top head basket were AKG C12 / Telefunken 251 clones. I could also see an application where you might want the detail from that type of condenser blended with the smoothness of a ribbon like the 44.

Comment

After a quick right and left click, I came up with the following:

This is from the band 'Epica's recording sessions. Judging by post date looks like it was for their 2014 release The Quantum Enigma.
                    Looked up the studio...

Mic #1 is indeed an AEA R 44 CXE (these are repro's of the RCA's...$2,970.00 @ Vintage King)
                    Mic#2 is a Brauner VM-1 ($5,890.00 @ Vintage King)

SOLVED. CASE CLOSED.

Comment

I've seen the mic on the right before, I think it's called a vm1 but I can find out and get back to you.

EDIT:

Blast, beaten to the punch. What he said ^^
                      The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

Sorry for being absent, I was flying. Yes, it's supposedly from Epica.

The bigger reason why I was asking is that I was curious about the dual mic setup in the first place. It's something I have been thinking about, but of course one of them (or both) will be a bit off-axis.

That, or maybe it is a really subtle troll by a microphone salesperson

Comment

Originally posted by uOpt View Post
                          The bigger reason why I was asking is that I was curious about the dual mic setup in the first place. It's something I have been thinking about, but of course one of them (or both) will be a bit off-axis.
                          I'm hardly a pro engineer, and I've never dual-mic'd vocals, but I do so for guitar once in a while. I wasn't super familiar with the VM-1 before this thread so I did some research and it seems to be loosely based on an original AKG C12 (the reissues use a different capsule and sound rather different) which is known for being a rather bright and clear microphone. Ribbons OTOH tend to be very 'natural' sounding, though RCA-44s have a reputation for being smooth and quite rolled off in the high end. With those two mics, I'd guess they're using the ribbon for the majority of the sound and augmenting it with the high end of the VM-1.

Dual-micing is a cool trick that I've never tried on vocals though I frequently record guitar that way. Regarding positioning that's always something I save for close to last in setup as the source, room, and sometimes phase will dictate where the mic(s) need to be.

Comment

I've used 2 mics on a vocal before. However, 1 mic was used 90% of the time and the other was brought in when needed (usually for some more natural spread).

Comment

Working...
                            X