banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for a tip - Opening Chord(s) to song (metal content)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a tip - Opening Chord(s) to song (metal content)

the guitar is tuned to D-flat, and it sort of sounds like there's something going on right before the sustained D-flat power chord that opens this song. can somebody sus out what's going on? is it Db with the added octave on the fourth string (Db-5 is it?) and then the Db power chord? is it D-major => Db? i can't tell. i have tin ears. i've always learned by tabs. this whole "figuring stuff out by ear" thing is very intimidating and fatiguing; going over and over and over and over the same 2-3 second section again and again and again. anyway, here's the song:

good deals with:

Buyers - Allstarme, Savage_Distorton, Lerxst6, KingIZZO))), Powerglide350, Donnievaz, SrDeMaFp, Guston7, Ayrton, IndySG, eclecticsynergy, eaeolian, Jolly

Sellers - 51501984

Re: Looking for a tip - Opening Chord(s) to song (metal content)

Where exactly are you talking about? What minute or second? Left or right channel?

Comment

Originally posted by JOLLY View Post
      Where exactly are you talking about? What minute or second? Left or right channel?
      The first chord at the start of the song. It sounds like the Db power chord has some precursor chord. Which channel? I dunno?
      good deals with:

Buyers - Allstarme, Savage_Distorton, Lerxst6, KingIZZO))), Powerglide350, Donnievaz, SrDeMaFp, Guston7, Ayrton, IndySG, eclecticsynergy, eaeolian, Jolly

Sellers - 51501984

Comment

All I hear is both guitars hitting one big fat drop Db chord together, and then the dude on the left channel sliding up and hitting a single note in D on the A string and then sliding it down to a B all while the guy in the right channel holds his original Db chord.
        Last edited by JOLLY; 01-13-2016, 01:56 PM.

Comment

Nothing really sounds crazy or out of the ordinary to me.

Comment

I mean, you realize that is two different guitars doing that don't you? There's one track on the left side doing something, and there's another track on the right side doing something as well.

Comment

Nothing really sounds crazy or out of the ordinary to me.
              I mean, you realize that is two different guitars doing that don't you? There's one track on the left side doing something, and there's another track on the right side doing something as well.
              No, its not very crazy or complicated at all. I feel kind of stupid posting this thread. And yes, there are two guitars in the band.
              So it sound to you like its Db played twice.
              Interesting, maybe my ear wants to complicate things?
              good deals with:

Sellers - 51501984

Comment

There could be the possibility that between both guitars tuned down that low, and the bass being that low as well, that someone could have hit the strings too hard or something, caused them to be a bit floppy, and therefore you might be hearing something a tad out of tune. However, I'm just not hearing it.

I mean let's just pretend that it's you and I playing this song. You are on the right side of the speakers and you hit that huge downtuned Db and hold it. I am on the left side of the speakers, I hit that huge Db and then do the sliding to D and then B. I think you just may be over complicating things. Unless my ears are screwed up, I'm just not hearing it.
                Last edited by JOLLY; 01-13-2016, 03:03 PM.

Comment

Hopefully someone else will chime in and either correct me or agree with me.

Comment

And don't feel stupid for posting the thread. As has been stated on this forum many times, the only dumb question is the one you never ask.

Comment

Nah, I'm with Jolly. I think you're just hearing the attack and over-complicating it.

I have ****ing terrible ears though, so I could be wrong.
                      I remember calloused hands and paint-stained jeans, and I remember safe-as-houses self-belief.

Comment

here's a live clip. start at the 0:40 second mark and take a look at his fretting hand (full screen might help):

good deals with:

Sellers - 51501984

Comment

I see what you're talking about, but I still can't here it. I think he's just holding his hand there in that position while hitting the Db.
                          Last edited by JOLLY; 01-13-2016, 06:05 PM.

Comment

I see what you're talking about, but I still can't here it. I think he's just holding his hand there in that position while hitting the Db.
                            ok, this makes my life much simpler. and we have confirmation with KAM.
                            i'm going with a simple Db
                            Last edited by Snoogles; 01-13-2016, 07:03 PM.
                            good deals with:

Sellers - 51501984

Comment

Yeah, all I hear are two Db power chords.

Comment

Working...
                              X