banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best budget guitar recording interface for Mac/Ipad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best budget guitar recording interface for Mac/Ipad?

Im looking for a good yet extremely affordable recording interface for my Mac/Ipad. I have looked at the Focusrite Scarlett Solo USB Interface and the Line 6 Sonic Port. Any others out there around $100 that are good recording interfaces and what are your opinions on the 2 I have listed?
    sigpic"Praise HIM with the Strings" Psalms 150:4

Re: Best budget guitar recording interface for Mac/Ipad?

Not really. I have a Focusrite 2i2 for daily use, and an 18i20 for heavy lifting.
    For iPad only you may want to look at the iTrack solo instead.
    Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
    My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Originally posted by TwilightOdyssey View Post
      Not really. I have a Focusrite 2i2 for daily use, and an 18i20 for heavy lifting.
      For iPad only you may want to look at the iTrack solo instead.
      Thanks sir. I am VERY new to this type recording stuff. If I get one that I can use with my iPad,can I run my signal through my personal pedals and into the interface for recording? Or am I stuck using the presets on the recording program?

Comment

Yes, you can absolutely use your pedals first, especially if you are driving a virtual amplifier sim on your DAW. If you are planning on reamping your guitar parts, I would record as dry as possible for the DI track.

Comment

im new to the world of recording to. i recently got a scarlet 2i4 and i love it. its simply to use. i pretty much only record guitar. i run di from my amp to a H & K redbox to emulate a cab and then into the 2i4. its fantastic for starting. plus its usb powered so you dont have to deal with power supplies like you would with firewire.

Comment

Originally posted by Grizzly_Diesel View Post
            im new to the world of recording to. i recently got a scarlet 2i4 and i love it. its simply to use. i pretty much only record guitar. i run di from my amp to a H & K redbox to emulate a cab and then into the 2i4. its fantastic for starting. plus its usb powered so you dont have to deal with power supplies like you would with firewire.
            It has never been easier to self produce a profession product from beginning to end. By the time I was 23, I had been recording my music for almost 10 years ... man, I am old!!

Comment

It has never been easier to self produce a profession product from beginning to end. By the time I was 23, I had been recording my music for almost 10 years ... man, I am old!!
              Lol. I find it pretty easy to record to GB using my Griffin adapter that I have been using and it works with my pedals as well. Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	18.7 KB
ID:	5792233
              What would be the upside of upgrading to a recording interface like the Focusrite?

Comment

If it works, then use it, I say. I would warrant a guess that Focusrite puts a lot more care and quality components into their conversions (both digital and analogue) than Apple, however. The preamps are also a good deal better.

The thing with recording as either a hobby or career is that there is NO upper limit in either hardware or technique; it goes on forever. As an individual, YOU decide when to get off the equipment train -- no one can tell you X is 'better' than Y, though they will try. Does it sound good? Then it is good!

Example: the last song I mixed was done entirely ITB. I usually mix music tracks hybrid using a method that works for me. While the mix turned out fine, there are certain elements that I know could have been better had I done a hybrid mix. The current trend in the audio industry is the move towards simpler monitoring, simplifying the 2-bus, and mixing entirely in the box, but for me it just diesn't yield the same level results -- sometimes you simply have to decide for yourself what your exit point will be.

Comment

If it works, then use it, I say. I would warrant a guess that Focusrite puts a lot more care and quality components into their conversions (both digital and analogue) than Apple, however. The preamps are also a good deal better.

The thing with recording as either a hobby or career is that there is NO upper limit in either hardware or technique; it goes on forever. As an individual, YOU decide when to get off the equipment train -- no one can tell you X is 'better' than Y, though they will try. Does it sound good? Then it is good!

Example: the last song I mixed was done entirely ITB. I usually mix music tracks hybrid using a method that works for me. While the mix turned out fine, there are certain elements that I know could have been better had I done a hybrid mix. The current trend in the audio industry is the move towards simpler monitoring, simplifying the 2-bus, and mixing entirely in the box, but for me it just diesn't yield the same level results -- sometimes you simply have to decide for yourself what your exit point will be.
                  Thanks for all the great input and advice. I will probably save up a little more and go with the iTrack i think that way I can use both my ipad and my Mac.

Comment

Originally posted by Grizzly_Diesel View Post
                    Just as an FYI, FW400 can power over the FW cable (you need FW400 on both ends though)
                    TOUQUE ROCK...EH???? I AM CANADIAN

Comment

Originally posted by Kamanda~SD View Post
                      Just as an FYI, FW400 can power over the FW cable (you need FW400 on both ends though)
                      Only if you have 6-pin connectors on both ends. Most laptops with FW400 only have a 4-pin connector that does not pass power.
                      Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                      And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Working...
                      X