FL Studio 11 vs Reaper.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FL Studio 11 vs Reaper.

So i recently got my recording gear set up. i currently have fl studios. personally i thinks its a pain in the ass to work with. I've been hearing about reaper. whats everybody's opinion? i would love to have pro tools or logic pro but from what I've seen to get everything you need it tends to get pretty pricey, aside form an illegal copy, which id rather not do.

Re: FL Studio 11 vs Reaper.

Reaper costs nothing to try; why not download it and see for yourself?
    It's like any other DAW: it has its fans and detractors. Personally, I much prefer Logic or Cubase to Reaper. Others feel different.
    Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
    My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

I have no experience with FL Studio but I've been using Reaper for a few years and finally had the $60 to plunk down and buy a license. It's totally worth it.
      Nope...

Comment

Originally posted by GilmourD View Post
        I have no experience with FL Studio but I've been using Reaper for a few years and finally had the $60 to plunk down and buy a license. It's totally worth it.
        Agreed; Reaper gives one a STAGGERING array of powerful options for the price of entry.

Comment

You can run FL as a plugin inside Reaper. The latter is great for tracking audio, the former is great for programming. Win-win.

My best advice is pick your tools and stick to them until you know them through and through. Don't be too concerned about others using this or that. In your project studio your needs matter, not someone elses.

Comment

I sold FL Studio as soon as they were forced to allow transfers. (Before that, you were stuck with it.) Sold Pro Tools 9 as well.

Been using Reaper for years. Best $60 I ever spent.

Director of Arizona Young Voters Initiative

https://www.azyoungvoters.org

Twitter:
            @ArizonaVoters

Comment

$200 for Logic isn't particularly pricey, especially what you get for the money in terms of loops and soft synths. With iTunes cards going for 10-20% off, that knocks the price down to $160-180.
              Originally posted by LesStrat
              make sure that you own the gear, not vice versa.
              My Music

Comment

Originally posted by aleclee View Post
                $200 for Logic isn't particularly pricey, especially what you get for the money in terms of loops and soft synths. With iTunes cards going for 10-20% off, that knocks the price down to $160-180.
                That's assuming he has the Mac to run it on. While FL Studio is available for Mac, I'm thinking he's a PC owner.

Director of Arizona Young Voters Initiative

https://www.azyoungvoters.org

Twitter:
                @ArizonaVoters

Comment

Originally posted by aleclee View Post
                  Logic is a STEAL for the price considering you get
                  - a full fledged DAW
                  - killer stock compression and EQ plugins
                  - Flex Time and Flex Pitch
                  - Logic Drummer

Those ALONE can give you professional results without sinking other penny into your mixing rig ... add all of the Loops that come with it ... Alchemy ... all of the soft synths and virtual instruments ... and you have a truly insane DAW system. Add Blue Cat and Melda's fee AU plugin suites and you add level/loudness metering, stereo scope, and transparent gain/modulation plugins to that and you are set for life.

I have been using Logic for about 2 years now and couldn't be happier -- the workflow is perfect for the way I write, record, and mix.

Comment

Originally posted by dominus View Post
                    That's assuming he has the Mac to run it on. While FL Studio is available for Mac, I'm thinking he's a PC owner.
                    Since he mentioned illegally downloading Logic, I figured he had something to run it on
                    Originally posted by LesStrat
                    make sure that you own the gear, not vice versa.
                    My Music

Comment

Originally posted by Grizzly_Diesel View Post
                      So i recently got my recording gear set up. i currently have fl studios. personally i thinks its a pain in the ass to work with. I've been hearing about reaper. whats everybody's opinion? i would love to have pro tools or logic pro but from what I've seen to get everything you need it tends to get pretty pricey, aside form an illegal copy, which id rather not do.
                      Reaper is an excellent DAW. Among its greatest strengths are that its interface is very tracking-oriented; with a five-minute online primer teaching you the basics of assigning input channels, arming and recording, you can be laying down new tracks for your project. It has fairly expansive support for VSTs/VSTis as well as a JavaScript-based API supporting scripting and plugins without requiring a C++ background.

The greatest weakness I've commonly heard compared to other "professional" DAWs is that automation support is a bit behind the curve. It does support working with a control surface using vanilla MIDI CC messages as well as HUI and Mackie Control. I don't do a whole lot of automation and don't have much experience with any other DAW so I'm not sure what's missing, but I do know that most controllers' proprietary control mapping software is usually focused on just about any DAW besides Reaper, so mapping/remapping the controller can be a time-consuming process even with MIDI Learn-type setup.

Comment

yeah im running an old hp at the moment. in the process of upgrading to a more "powerful" pc. as in an i5 processor with more ram. im running a pentiumd dual core with 4 gb of ddr2 ram now and its struggling to keep up with fl studios. i love mac's but for a decent imac from what ive seen in my area there quite expensive. i have a mac book pro from early 2011. but its also running a dual core processor with 4 gb of ram so i figured it wouldnt handle recording any better that my current rig.

Comment

yeah im running an old hp at the moment. in the process of upgrading to a more "powerful" pc. as in an i5 processor with more ram. im running a pentiumd dual core with 4 gb of ddr2 ram now and its struggling to keep up with fl studios. i love mac's but for a decent imac from what ive seen in my area there quite expensive. i have a mac book pro from early 2011. but its also running a dual core processor with 4 gb of ram so i figured it wouldnt handle recording any better that my current rig.
                          Depends on what processor. both being 'Dual Core' doesn't mean they are equal, and putting 8GB in your laptop would be easy and fairly cheap. I would compare those processors if I were you.
                          TOUQUE ROCK...EH???? I AM CANADIAN

Comment

Originally posted by Kamanda~SD View Post
                            Depends on what processor. both being 'Dual Core' doesn't mean they are equal, and putting 8GB in your laptop would be easy and fairly cheap. I would compare those processors if I were you.
                            My current setup, which I built for both mild gaming and audio recording. (copied from my sig at HardForum.com)

[Processor: Intel Skylake i5 6600K (stock for now)][HSF: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO]
                            [PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 B2][Case: Corsair Carbide Series Air 540 Silver]
                            [Motherboard: AsRock Z170 Extreme4][RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-2666]
                            [Video: eVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti DS Superclocked 01G-P3-1567-KR]
                            [Hard Drives: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB]

Running Windows 10 gives me a pretty buttery experience recording or doing my internet radio show.
                            Nope...

Comment

Originally posted by Kamanda~SD View Post
                              +1

They're both dual core, but they're hardly created equal. This page details the closest possible comparison between the two; ie the slowest 2011 Macbook Pro CPU vs. the fastest available Pentium D.

TLDR; The CPU in the 2011 Macbook Pro wipes the floor with the Pentium D and then some.

As the link above shows the CPU In your MBP is more than twice as fast as the CPU in the HP Desktop; DDR3 RAM is also significantly faster than DDR2. If you want to use your MBP for recording it's more than capable, and I would recommend getting a much RAM as you can afford. An external hard drive for your project files is also a good idea, but not required.
                              Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                              And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Working...
                              X