TO, I need home stereo help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TO, I need home stereo help.

TO, I'm posting here in public since perhaps there are others who might be in my situation. I also post in the ti*s and cli*s section so I don't have to listen to some of the opinions in the OT section.

Anyway, here's the poop. I've been sans a home stereo for about 6 or 7 years. I have a boombox, but mostly listen to music in the car where I can blast the crap out of it. My last real home stereo was one of those 80's monstrosities, a component system with those speakers as big as a Volkswagen. Well, wifey wants to buy a new entertainment center and redo the living room (i.e.... I redo the living room). So I was thinking maybe it's time to wrangle a stereo into the deal. Anyway, I want best bang for my buck, but I would like to keep it around the 5 to 7 hundred dollar range. Yeah, I'm cheap, but that's life. I'd rather put money into a Marshall than a stereo, but life is all about choices.

I know you work in a high-end sound place, and I have a buddy in town who mods stereos for people with big wallets, so I know that a person can spend as much as they want to spend on a system. I'm not one of those people, though (too bad), and was wondering what I might be looking at in that price range.

Oh, all I need is a CD player, radio receiver, and speakers. Sound quality more important than volume, and don't need a ton of volume either. Multi-disc player is preferrable. Home theater not included in this purchase, but perhaps in the future.

Thanks
    Last edited by JammerMatt; 02-19-2005, 04:00 PM.
    Originally posted by Scott_F
    On that day, should I ever be so unlucky, I will expect an unholy assault of pure metal mayhem attacking all my senses with a little tiny voice in the background screaming Effing Hails!

Re: TO, I need home stereo help.

Bump up.
    On that day, should I ever be so unlucky, I will expect an unholy assault of pure metal mayhem attacking all my senses with a little tiny voice in the background screaming Effing Hails!

Comment

My advice, Matt ---

Get the best source (CD player) you can afford, and then add:

1 x integrated amp. This is a preamp and amp in one unit. I would go with tubes, but there are some excellent SS integrated amps as well.

1 pr bookshelf speakers. LOTS of choices here. Give me a budget, and I can help.

1 x subwoofer. I would definitely go with a sat/sub system over floorstanders. They generally image better, play louder, and have a smaller footprint. You can place the sub virtually anywhere in the room.

Keep the AM/FM tuner for the table radio.

You can PM me with your total budget, and I can make specific recommendations, as well as see what I can do for you in terms of getting you great gear at a good price.
      Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
      My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

You're the man. I'll keep you posted as time goes by - and this on the horizon for the moment, I just wanted to start looking around as it has been so long since I'd shopped around that I wondered where to start. The good news now is that I don't have to look at all those one-piece units that look like some kind of R2D2 robot with ears. I prefer the component system, so that's where I'll start looking.

Thanks bud, I'll keep you posted.

Comment

Working...
        X