Guitarport

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guitarport

Ok - I've been playing guitar for most of my life (over 30 years), but never recorded anything. Time to change that!

Yesterday I scored a Guitarport on ebay ($75). I know that some of you guys use that thing. Here's a few questions:

- What recording software works well with it (without breaking the bank, if possible)?
    - How critical is having a good soundcard in my computer?
    - I read about that guitarpoprt online thing, where you sign up, pay a monthly fee and get all kinds of patches etc. Is that any good?
    - Any other do's and don't's?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Guitarport

i actually dont record with mine a whole lot anymore, but i do use it to jam at low levels with........and the lessons and jam tracks on the online thing are awesome, especially some of the lessons, which are basically a couple pages from certain guitarists with a bunch of licks and tabs from them........pretty cool i think

and the actual sounds are pretty good as well
    http://www.myspace.com/wildcatdotdotdot

Fender Telecaster 1962 Reissue MIJ
    >cord<
    1968 Fender Twin Reverb

Comment

Well, I use (a copy :/) Cubase SX. But I know theres a ton of affordable stuff out there if you set a budget, and I'm sure someone posted a link to some free software a while back...

The soundcard I have is a Soundblaster Live! 5.1 - Not 100% on the 5.1, but I know it's not a bank busting card. It cost about £20-30...

The online thing I haven't used in ages, I use the port purely for my own tones. The patches/upgrades are free. The online service is purely for artists tones, tracks and lessons.

Dont's - Er, break it I guess
      My clips

Originally posted by Rid
      How do I block my hardtail?

Comment

guitarport is awesome. I don't use the monthly subscription. A good soundcard is not necessity, but it definately helps. It will work with most major recording software. PM me.
        Last edited by Xeromus; 02-19-2005, 06:52 PM.

Comment

I use the POD 2.0, so I don't know about the guitarport... But when it comes to soundcards, I used to have a SB 5.1 which gave me hell when recording with Cubase. When I finally got it to work I got some really bad latency. Everywhere I went to ask, EVERYONE said: Get a new soundcard, SB sucks for recording!
          So I bought an M-Audio Audiophile 2496 for about $100. What a relief!! I'ts a very simple card, easy to install and all, but it's made for recording so everything works just great

The recording software I use is Cubase SX, which is one of the best... Altough it could be a pain to learn if you start from scratch.
          There are others, cheaper and easier, but not with as much possibilities. Even some especially made for guitar like Guitar Tracks Pro...

Oh, and don't forget... You'll be needing a pretty good computer if you're gonna use the latest in recording software. It won't do with an old Pentium 133 with 64 Mb RAM...
          Last edited by ztevie; 02-19-2005, 08:36 PM.
          Rek Custom Guitar (Duncan Full Shred set)
          Peavey Vandenberg Ed.2 (Tom Anderson HN3, DiMarzio Chopper)
          Peavey Vandenberg Custom Quilt Top (Stock pickups)

Comment

Actually, I had latency problems to begin with also, but it was something to do with the settings in cubase. I honestly can't remember what I had to do to fix it because this was months and months ago.
            My clips

Originally posted by Rid

Comment

I thought that the guitarport was usb connected so it had it's own sound drivers and bypassed the soundcard when recorded?
              °
              my stuff

Comment

Originally posted by Marinblues
                I thought that the guitarport was usb connected so it had it's own sound drivers and bypassed the soundcard when recorded?
                THATS IT!

I'm sure I went into devices on Cubase and changed soundblasterlive etc etc to guitarport.
                My clips

Originally posted by Rid

Comment

Working...
                X