banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Softube Metal Amp Room/Vintage Amp Room VS Amplitube 4?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Softube Metal Amp Room/Vintage Amp Room VS Amplitube 4?

Hello there. I'd like to ask you, have you tested both? I'm finding the Metal Amp Room and the Vintage Amp Room, after having them for a long time and not testing, much better and more realistic than Amplitube 4. Even the cab sims sound better than the highly customizable Amp4 cabs.

Also, regarding direct recording of valve amps, what is your experience? I acquired the Mesa Boogie CabClone, and plug a Laney LC30II through it, and it just sounds horrible and unpolished. Even the PODxt is better.

Thanks in advance
    Nullius In Verba

Re: Softube Metal Amp Room/Vintage Amp Room VS Amplitube 4?

Not much experience with these plugz you mentioned but I have recorded tube DI many times during my recording engineer days and made usable/mixable tones with VSTi IR players like ReValver even back in time when it wasn't owned by Peavey.

The preamp out of tube amps are quite different. In my experience, Marshalls produced after the JCM900 era (starting with the SL-X) were quite functional there. I could not get good results with Laneys, I always ended using cab + mic. Anyway, their new IRT DI units are really good.

Randall RM and Diezel VH2S proto amps were superb for DI and Peavey 6505 / Recto were not so much. Not tube stuff but AMT Legendary preamps were ridiculously functional and tended to outperform tube head DI signals even if they don't contain any tube. Usually they pumped out mixable sounds right out of the box.

In general I preferred recording amps through cabs the classic way. When I decided the other way I preferred processed tube amp DI to the old Pod XT 90% of the time. More character. In the case of the newer POD HD, I'm not so sure, probably I'd stick with the POD HD. I think with tweaking and good ears for tone the HD can outperform a raw DI tube amp signal easily and by far. A Kemper or AxeFXII eats a processed DI amp tube signal alive in the mix. I still prefer a fine cab + well-placed mic + good mix preamp to them. Again, more character.

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by NecroPolo; 05-21-2016, 01:54 PM.
    Wackor
    Ørdøg
    NecroPolo
    Diabolus in Musica
    SIDrip Alliance
    Book of Shadows
    RKH

Comment

Hm, thanks for the detailed answer. I'm thinking if i buy more pedals perhaps i can tailor the sound better, or instead selling the Laney (which is worth lots here) and getting a Boutique Amp. Imported amps here are like 6 times the price they're worth in the US/Europe.
      Nullius In Verba

Comment

Sure, man. You can competely re-characterise the Laney with pedals without burning too much money. You must check this:

Last edited by NecroPolo; 05-22-2016, 07:13 PM.
        Wackor
        Ørdøg
        NecroPolo
        Diabolus in Musica
        SIDrip Alliance
        Book of Shadows
        RKH

Comment

Nice! I didn't like AMT's much, but the Sansamp is awesome. x) Also i already got some better tones messing with it one of these days. I took it off the bedroom too, and put it on the living room, and the AM Radio interference disappeared with POD's noise gate after the preamp. Now i must buy a real noise gate, 'cause plugging the POD in front of the amp destroyed the tone completely (either that or the Headphone output of the CabC, which sounds horrible and is incredibly quiet too).
          Nullius In Verba

Comment

AMTs rock from vids I have seen. Serious djent.

Comment

Originally posted by greekdude View Post
              AMTs rock from vids I have seen. Serious djent.
              Sure they do. The main reason why I keep using them is some sort of organic feel. I use M1 and P1 on a regular level. I have owned JCM800 and JCM900 and the M1 feels like that. Also, an early 6505 and the P1 feels like that. There is some organic feedback that engineers there seem to capture right.

Sansamp units sound like the amps modeled but there is something in their feedback that doesn't feel like playing them. AMTs feel to be more organic.

Don't take one opinion granted. Just like talking about how pussies feel when banged, it is strictly some subjective experience. At least, normally.
              Last edited by NecroPolo; 05-28-2016, 01:11 PM.
              Wackor
              Ørdøg
              NecroPolo
              Diabolus in Musica
              SIDrip Alliance
              Book of Shadows
              RKH

Comment

Originally posted by NecroPolo View Post

Don't take one opinion granted. Just like talking about how pussies feel when banged, it is strictly some subjective experience. At least, normally.
                Dear Lord. I hope that core hatred wasn't because i didn't like a pedal, lol. Either way, to the other guy, the reason i didn't like them much was because they had that fizz that seems to be inherent to amp sims. Either that is not normal in many tube amps, or even the cheapest amp sims are really good. x) Cheers, ehauehua
                Nullius In Verba

Comment

Originally posted by Filipe Marquez View Post
                  Dear Lord. I hope that core hatred wasn't because i didn't like a pedal, lol. Either way, to the other guy, the reason i didn't like them much was because they had that fizz that seems to be inherent to amp sims. Either that is not normal in many tube amps, or even the cheapest amp sims are really good. x) Cheers, ehauehua
                  No mate you got it completely wrong I was just joking

The core of the message was, please don't take my opinion granted as tastes differ. If two guys bang the same girl it will be a totally different experience for both guys, even if they do it the same time That's what I wanted to say, no hatred whatsoever. I'll be the first guy to question and re-visit my own view about anything as I take it as a subjective point of view that may be wrong.
                  Wackor
                  Ørdøg
                  NecroPolo
                  Diabolus in Musica
                  SIDrip Alliance
                  Book of Shadows
                  RKH

Comment

Hm, ok, lol. But banging both on the same hole? or on different ones? Different right? Lol
                    Nullius In Verba

Comment

In my experience, the great majority of... khm... monoblock guitar amps allow low or high input only, never both so it's all theoretical and about amps and stupid synonyms
                      Wackor
                      Ørdøg
                      NecroPolo
                      Diabolus in Musica
                      SIDrip Alliance
                      Book of Shadows
                      RKH

Comment

Yeah but, vaginas are strechy, and inputs can be melted and reshaped in order to accommodate two plugs at once, lol.
                        Nullius In Verba

Comment

Theoretically, yes. Practically, no, sharing plugs may cause disturbance in signal flow
                          Wackor
                          Ørdøg
                          NecroPolo
                          Diabolus in Musica
                          SIDrip Alliance
                          Book of Shadows
                          RKH

Comment

Exactly what i mean! Lol Even amps that accept two guitars, one in the High and one the Low, the sounds gets too blurry and hard to distinguish and appreciate, lol.
                            Last edited by Filipe Marquez; 05-31-2016, 06:57 PM.
                            Nullius In Verba

Comment

That is more than agreed, my friend
                              Wackor
                              Ørdøg
                              NecroPolo
                              Diabolus in Musica
                              SIDrip Alliance
                              Book of Shadows
                              RKH

Comment

Working...
                              X