banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New guitar and now I sound sloppy – advice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New guitar and now I sound sloppy – advice?

I bought my first Martin (a CEO-7) and absolutely love the tone, response and sustain of it. However...now I REALLY sound sloppy. Never sounded this sloppy on my previous guitars (Eastman E8D, Gibson AJ & J45.) The action feels great–not too low but not too high either. My Dreads and Jumbos were all a bit lower, so my first thought its that maybe I just need to adjust to the slightly higher action. But I've tried to adjust and it still sounds very sloppy...

I understand that I need to practice–but any tips on how to overcome this? Thanks!
    Last edited by treyhaislip; 12-14-2016, 08:45 AM. Reason: Clarity

Re: New guitar and now I sound sloppy – advice?

you answered your own question. practice on the new guitar. its always a little bit of an adjustment, some times much more. i was playing a guitar i dont usually play at a show last night and the recording was a little sloppy. i just need to spend more time on it, same as you.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
      you answered your own question. practice on the new guitar. its always a little bit of an adjustment, some times much more. i was playing a guitar i dont usually play at a show last night and the recording was a little sloppy. i just need to spend more time on it, same as you.
      Thanks!

I haven't been able to put it down, so no trouble with practicing more!

Comment

Generally, it comes from the first few weeks adapting to the new guitar. Once your hands get used to it, you will be fine. Congrats on the new guitar!
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
          Generally, it comes from the first few weeks adapting to the new guitar. Once your hands get used to it, you will be fine. Congrats on the new guitar!
          Thanks! I was hoping that is the case.

Comment

I was feeling like I did a mistake when I got my SoCal in 2014, I had been playing the same Strat for 16 years before that. Just don't play any other guitar for a couple of weeks, that makes your hands to get used to it faster.
            Who took my guitar?

Comment

Originally posted by IMENATOR View Post
              I was feeling like I did a mistake when I got my SoCal in 2014, I had been playing the same Strat for 16 years before that. Just don't play any other guitar for a couple of weeks, that makes your hands to get used to it faster.
              Good advice–thanks! Glad I'm not the only one who felt that way after a new purchase!

Comment

Even some slight changes in fretboard radius or string tension can take some time to get adjusted to. A different size or shape of the body makes your right arm placement a little different, too.
                Turn me on, Dead Man.

Comment

I'm gonna concur with everyone else... just spend more time with it. As a side note, I've always found that it takes me longer to get used to a new acoustic compared to a new electric. I think that, with the added "stiffness" inherent to acoustics, it's just the nature of the beast.
                  Originally posted by The Commodores?
                  "Chicken Brown Chicken Brown Cow"

Comment

When I got my seven last year, I really enjoy the way it played and felt, but yeah it took some time to readjust my positioning and such. Just keep playing man. It'll get there.
                    Schecter ATX Blackjack C7 BKP Painkiller (B) and Abraxas (N)
                    Hagstrom Hj800 Jazzbox stock pickups
                    Fender Jazz Bass EMG MJ Set
                    Music Man SUB Ray5 stock pickups
                    Line 6 Helix
                    Dunlop Strings and Picks

The opinions expressed above are my own and do not reflect normal levels of sanity.

Comment

Thanks guys! Definitely have NO problem practicing more–can't put it down! lol Thanks again!

Comment

Originally posted by treyhaislip View Post
                        Good advice–thanks! Glad I'm not the only one who felt that way after a new purchase!
                        Well, it happend to me cause I had not the chance to play it, those are not in stock here really. Spec wise it had all things I want from a 6 string electric guitar and the Charvel SoCal is indeed a great metal machine. I used to play classic guitar before I ever picked electric so I had no problem with using a different neck anyway.
                        Who took my guitar?

Comment

Working...
                        X