banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you use Cab IRs without a loadbox for amp recording?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you use Cab IRs without a loadbox for amp recording?

So before buying Cab IRs first I wanted to try some free EHV IRs. I don't have a DI that can be plugged between the power amp and the speaker but then I realized as mine is a hybrid setting and the solid state power amp does not overdrive at all (lots of clean headroom with 180 watts mono) I decided to just skip it and plug my AMT SS-20 output (FX Send of a real amp should work) directly into my Focusrite 2i2. So my track is the preamp signal into the EVH Cab IR and I have to say I like it way better than the sound of the Cab Sim output of the SS-20.

Then I decided I wanted to do another comparison and mic my own cab with Celestion 7080 to see how "real" this recorded sound is compared to mic'ing the amp as everyone else does, I used my AKG P220 for this. Again, as my current tone comes mainly from the preamp I don't really need to crank the power amp section to get the tone I like at the room into a signal level usable by the condenser mic. I was surprised to hear the mic amp recorded sound does have the same feel, not the same tone but the feel is the same, I guess it has something to do with how guitar speakers attenuate the higher frequencies. Actually the preamp into Cab IR sounds better to me, I guess my room acoustic and my actual speaker have a lot to do.

So my conclusion was that for my particular rig and recording interface I don't need a load box or a DI box in order to make a silent recording at night and use Cab IRs because I don't get any overdrive/distortion from power amp section. For people using cranked power tubes, I guess they really need some kind of DI to get that power amp signal properly into a recording interface line level or something.

I am not saying this is THE way to do it for everyone, I am not even sure if this may work with different amps or recording interfaces but it seems to work for me and now I feel more confident of investing some money into buying professionally recorded Cab IRs like the RedWirez for example.

Please let me know your comments. Are you taking a different approach to the same concept?
    Who took my guitar?

Re: How do you use Cab IRs without a loadbox for amp recording?

With a DAW and a VST speaker iR plugin (Poulin LeCab, for ex) on the channel you'll be using to record.

Comment

Well if you like it that's cool and really that is all that matters in the end.

But, the point of a reactive load is not about where distortion is generated in the amp but how how the power tubes respond differently when there is a real speaker connected to them versus when you just have a fixed dummy load. Even if you are not getting any "power tube distortion" as in "overdrive" there is still "distortion" as in harmonic distortion being generated by the power tubes... and that is also a huge factor in the "tube sound."

There is a good reason why you like the IR's better than your amp's cabinet simulator... a cab sim is just a simple EQ curve attached to the signal. More often than not, it's just a simple low-pass filter that gets rid of all the ugly harsh highs we don't hear from a speaker cabinet. An IR is, in a nutshell, a digital model of an actual speaker cabinet. WORLD of difference between the two and yes, most definitely will sound WAY better than your typical "cabinet simulator" circuit.

Oh, and try the Two Notes Wall of Sound III plugin! You can try it for free for 30-days and with as little as a $10-ish purchase of another cabinet set, you unlock it for good. One great feature of it you might enjoy in your situation is that it has a tube power-amp simulator that you can optionally add to your signal chain!
      Last edited by MakerDP; 12-15-2016, 06:07 PM.

Comment

As far as I'm aware, many cab IRs do include power amp colouration because the sine wave would have been run through the power section of the amp driving the cabinet for the convolution process.
        The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by Beer$ View Post
          As far as I'm aware, many cab IRs do include power amp colouration because the sine wave would have been run through the power section of the amp driving the cabinet for the convolution process.
          Yup, and some companies, like Ownhammer, outlay how to EQ your DI track using their IRs if you are not passing it through a guitar amp.
          Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
          My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Working...
          X