Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recording with backing From iMac logic to iphone

Hello,

I have an iMac with Logic on it and I'm very pleased with my recording tone and would like to use it for videos I usually record with my iphone. For recording on the iMac, I currently use a Peavey USB adapter that has a 1/4 input (for the guitar) and a 1/8 output to listen to playback.

if i purchase an adapter like this:

and plug a 1/8 to 1/8 cable from it into my iphone (single male end of the adapter into the headphone jack), will it allow me to record video sync'd with a direct logic feed to my iphone?

If not, how is the best way to do it? I want to be able to play a backing track on the computer and hear my guitar with the logic amp modeling software as it is recording.

Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated!
    THANKS!

Re: Recording with backing From iMac logic to iphone

Best way is to record the audio to Logic and just capture the mic's audio from the phone. Clap at the beginning of the video* and then import the completed video into either Logic or iMovie or Final Cut and replace the mic's audio with the mix down from Logic. Done.

* The clap is so you can sync the audio from the mix down and the video. You then edit that part out of the video.
    Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
    My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Originally posted by TwilightOdyssey View Post
      Best way is to record the audio to Logic and just capture the mic's audio from the phone. Clap at the beginning of the video* and then import the completed video into either Logic or iMovie or Final Cut and replace the mic's audio with the mix down from Logic. Done.

* The clap is so you can sync the audio from the mix down and the video. You then edit that part out of the video.

cool! Wouldn't have thought of that. i'll give it a try over the weekend. Thanks, man.

Comment

how will the computer hear my clap if the guitar is plugged into the mic input, though?

Comment

You can add a room mic, or you can count off on the guitar first: chunk, chunk, chunk, chunk, clap.

Comment

You're creative!

Hopefully my last question: How do i add a room mic that will record simultaneously with the line-in?

Comment

No worries!

Sorry, I assumed you have an interface of some sort.

You will need an interface that has more than one input. Room mic goes into one input, guitar into another. Interface goes into the iMac.

Lacking an interface you are left with just the guitar count in, which can still work.

Comment

ok thank you!

Comment

is there an interface on amazon you could recomend?

I do have a peavey adapter. It only has two jack though (1/4 in and 1/8 out)

Comment

Probably the biggest selling interface today is the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2. Dead simple and just works. Great price, too. I own 4 Focusrite interfaces ranging from one input to 16!
                    Last edited by TwilightOdyssey; 01-25-2017, 09:39 PM.

Comment

I tried to do it the way you suggested, and above is the result. i'm very pleased. Was going to post a full length jam for Santana's Europa but accidentally sent myself the wrong bt. so I recorded myself dicking around a little to see what sort of sound quality I could get. I'm pleased with the results. Thanks for your help, man!(BTW this guitar is my Gibson les paul standard with the Duncan antiquities I purchased and had installed 2 weeks ago. Love the pups.)

Comment

Oh yeah, sounds nice!! Was you getting some feedback?

This is a live play through vid I made of one of my songs a little bit ago, using the same technique.

Comment

Originally posted by TwilightOdyssey View Post
                          Oh yeah, sounds nice!! Was you getting some feedback?

This is a live play through vid I made of one of my songs a little bit ago, using the same technique.

Yeah unfortunately my logix rig gets a bit of feedback between the notes. When i record later, i'm gonna try a dif cable. It could have to do with my peavey adapter. Not sure. If i have no luck reducing it, i'll edit out the buzzes later, like i've done with my studio tracks.

Comment

Btw, i like your clips. I've also visited your sound cloud. Your phrasing is great and your compsitions seem high in subtance. It's easy to tell you've been doing it a while. And you're great.

Comment

Originally posted by Open lane View Post
                              Btw, i like your clips. I've also visited your sound cloud. Your phrasing is great and your compsitions seem high in subtance. It's easy to tell you've been doing it a while. And you're great.
                              Thanks for the kind words, I really appreciate it.

Comment

Working...
                              X