External mic for guitar videos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• External mic for guitar videos

I have an iPad mini which I use to do guitar videos with but as everyone knows the built-in mic isn't great. Acoustic guitar isn't bad but for electric the sound is pretty mediocre.

So I'm looking at getting an external USB mic to plug in so it can sound a whole lot better, does anyone know any I can get that will plug into an iPad mini? I know you can get an adaptor if you get a normal USB cable as the iPad port is smaller.

Just looking for something to be the next step up from the in-built mic, nothing of studio quality (though something close would be nice).

And does anyone do guitar cover videos/etc what mics do you use and how do you set it up?

Re: External mic for guitar videos

Surely by now someone has built a range of outboard gear to record quality audio directly to something other than a PC, but I don't recall seeing anything, unless I just wasn't looking.

I'd say your best bet is still going to be a laptop with an interface and do the video editing in whatever comes with it.
    Originally posted by Brown Note
    I'm soooooo jealous about the WR-1. It's the perfect guitar; fantastic to play, balances well even when seated and *great* reach for the upper frets. The sound is bright tight and very articulate. In summary it could only be more awesome if it had b00bs and was on fire!
    My Blog

Comment

Look into Rode microphones.
      Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
      My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Its mainly to capture the sound in the room at the time (I'm a guitar tutor so I regularly take clips of us jamming a song to put on social media) so as long as you can hear the playback from the monitors and the guitars its enough.

I did look at the Blue Snowball mic which would be better than the in-built mic, AudioTechnica as well. I did see a Rode one as well:

Comment

Just make sure that the mic is class compliant and will work with the iPad using the Camera Connection Kit.
          Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
          My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

There's an adaptor thing I can get to connect the USB, and apparently for most there's no drivers to install.

Comment

IKmultimedia do pretty much everything you'd ever need for iPad/iPhone recording/performance. For your specific question:

iRig Mic Studio is the large-diaphragm digital condenser microphone for iPhone, iPod touch, iPad, Android and Mac/PC

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks Vince, great recommendation, would this work solely as an external mic though? I'm not overly fussed with post production so if I am in video mode on my iPad can I just record video but it uses that mic instead of the inbuilt one?

Comment

Zoom IQ5 for Ipad/Iphone External Microphone.

Used Zoom Q3HD in Maschalismos Gigs. Check links below.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by DeadandBuried View Post
                    Thanks Vince, great recommendation, would this work solely as an external mic though? I'm not overly fussed with post production so if I am in video mode on my iPad can I just record video but it uses that mic instead of the inbuilt one?
                    I don't have one, but that's exactly what I read it as doing, it just replaces your inbuilt Mic as the recording source. So you could Skype with it, etc. if you wanted to.

Comment

Originally posted by VinceT View Post
                      I don't have one, but that's exactly what I read it as doing, it just replaces your inbuilt Mic as the recording source. So you could Skype with it, etc. if you wanted to.

That's good enough for me, I was sold when I read up on the reviews, and I ordered it on Saturday!! Haha.
                      Still waiting for it to be delivered though, just hope its worth the hype cos it ain't cheap!

Good shout on the Zoom IQ5 mjsmanahan35 but its only restricted to iOs devices, I have an android phone plus a PC where I run Skype lessons so it wouldn't be very practical.

Comment

Working...
                      X