No announcement yet.

Need help finding melodic shred songs!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help finding melodic shred songs!

Hey folks,

this is my first post here @ seymour duncan forums, so if this aint the right category I'm sorry

Lately, I have been listening to John Petrucci's Glasgow Kiss, which I think is an OUTSTANDING song. I could'nt help but do a cover (you might wanna check it out here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5GAy5_ohKE ). Now, I am searching for songs LIKE glasgow kiss - shouldn't be too hard you say? For the past week, I have been crawling all kinds of internet lists / posts that enlist "melodical shred songs" - however, I repeatedly got stuff like Jason Becker's "Altitudes" or Jeff Lomis' "Miles of Machines", which - at least in my opinion - arent really that melodical. Don't get me wrong, these certainly are great songs, but what I'm missing is that absolutely catchy melody in there, i.e. an intro riff like the one in Glasgow Kiss. The only like really good one that I could think of would be Cliffs of Dover by Eric Johnson.

So please, if you have any ideas / nominations, let me know - I would be more than happy to find MY 2nd glasgow kiss

Cheers
    Mr.Mr

Re: Need help finding melodic shred songs!

Maybe you check some "Celtic"-related stuff, Mike Oldfield, or some irish/scotch/welsh bands?

Comment

start down the YouTube rabbit hole my friend.
      TOUQUE ROCK...EH???? I AM CANADIAN

Comment

Highland Wedding by Steve Morse, certainly.

Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Hey greekdude

Originally posted by greekdude View Post
          Maybe you check some "Celtic"-related stuff, Mike Oldfield, or some irish/scotch/welsh bands?
          would you consider Mike Oldenfield's music "shred songs" ? I'll give it a shot anyway, thanks mate

And @Mincer: WOW ! That song is just epic. So smooth and then theres a really nice solo at the end ! Thanks a lot !!!

any suggestions a bit more "metal" ? something like steel panther or so?

Comment

If you don't mind neoclassical stuff & dazzling speed

^^ Those first two Bellas albums are pure gold
            "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
            If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

Well for melody, the first 2 Vinnie Moore albums as well as the first 2 Tony McAlpine albums have tons of melody, great playing, and really crazy shreddy parts. The Vinnie Moore albums are produced better, as Tony's have that mid 80s reverb on everything, but the playing on everything is ace throughout. Of course, you can't go wrong with any Steve Morse Band (or for less metal but more crazy playing), the Dixie Dregs.
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Melodic shred, you say? ANDY TIMMONS.
                aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Did you see John playing that Glasgow crap on G3? He looks like he was practicing scales, absolutely no emotional interaction with the audience at all...lol. So close yet so far. I scratched Petrucci's from my favorite guitar heroes more than a decade ago.

Anyway, the whole "Premonition" album by Tony McAlpine is melodic, also Greg Howe's "Five" if you can keep with the intricate fusion leads.

Comment

Yeah Petrucci has been like a robot for years now..it's like he forgot it's supposed to be fun

Here's a new-ish guy I really like, melody & his own style/chops.. enjoys himself up there too

"Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
                    If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

Crap...how could I forget guitar heroes' hero, San Francisco's owned Mr. Joe Satriani: "Crushing Day".

Comment

need a true modern God ?? here he is :

Comment

Try Mr. Frontman and On the Way by Jack Thammarat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

If you like more modern stuff check out the wonderful dudes in Divine Realm (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFF...SVFca62212feVg)
                            TOUQUE ROCK...EH???? I AM CANADIAN

Comment

There's always good old Vai: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yw74sDWPH7U

Check out this guy called Daita too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJ_yRA9yj0g

Comment

Working...
                              X