banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New URSHURAK song -- EMILY THE IMAGINARY GIRL (Prog/Canterbury content)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New URSHURAK song -- EMILY THE IMAGINARY GIRL (Prog/Canterbury content)

Before there was Twilight Odyssey there was Urshurak, the original band that TO grew out of. It featured my younger brother, Vinny, on vocals and I played guitar/synths along with a bass player and drummer.

Well, this is the first collaboration I've had with my brother since the mid 90s; over 20 years! He sent me this song demo and I thought it would make a great Urshurak tune. I took his original chord progression and embellished it and he tracked the vocals; I then mixed the song.

Hope you like, it was a lot of fun to work on.

EMILY THE IMAGINARY GIRL
    (c) 2017, Intelligent Egg.

Grey day and the children can't play
    The swing is moving anyway
    If you listen closely you might hear the sound
    Of laughter on the empty playground

No-one can see and no-one can hear her
    Don't be afraid, there's no need to fear her
    She's invisible to all the world
    Emily, the imaginary girl

Pinwheel dreams that just keep spinning on
    Sunny Sundays drawn in chalk and crayon
    See the unseen girl, she's playing a game
    Always alone, no-one knows her name

No-one can see and no-one can hear her
    Don't be afraid, there's no need to fear her
    She's invisible to all the world
    Emily, the imaginary girl
    Last edited by TwilightOdyssey; 05-01-2017, 04:38 AM.
    Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
    My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Re: New URSHURAK song -- EMILY THE IMAGINARY GIRL (Prog/Canterbury content)

Sounds fantastic..nice vocals & love the folky bits/the way it progresses
    "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
    If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

Thanks for listening!

Comment

wow, really like the vibe!

velvet underground and pink floyd and beatles in that track, all great stuff!

Comment

Thanks for listening and for the kind words! It was a fun project; now it's time to get back to work with my main prog band!

Comment

Ah, this is a refreshing break from all the synth stuff to be honest. Great guitar tones on this track. I like the transition at 2.05 and the effect on the vocal sounds cool. Digging the singers voice on this as well -- I am a sucker for this type of prog rock. Lovely picking at 3.43. I also liked how it was organized into movements, and was actually kind of surprised that it returned back to the earlier parts at the end of the song.
            Schecter C-1 elite(alt-5, Fullshred)
            Fender Strat (Jb jr, ssl-2)
            Mesa Boogie Rectoverb
            Marshall 1960a
            Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Comment

Originally posted by AmirH View Post
              Ah, this is a refreshing break from all the synth stuff to be honest.
              Yup, Voyager II is going to be a big synth piece and then the next two releases for As Follows have a lot less of a synth influence.

Great guitar tones on this track. I like the transition at 2.05 and the effect on the vocal sounds cool.
              Thanks; didn't use a single microphone this time out! Electric guitars are Ownhammer impulse responses, and the acoustic guitar is a Fishman Aura. The vocal effect is just a delay, no modulation or anything like that. The vocal effect also follows the change in perspective of the lyrics, too.

Digging the singers voice on this as well -- I am a sucker for this type of prog rock. Lovely picking at 3.43. I also liked how it was organized into movements, and was actually kind of surprised that it returned back to the earlier parts at the end of the song.
              Thanks! Yes, I went against type for the ending!
              Last edited by TwilightOdyssey; 05-09-2017, 06:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TwilightOdyssey View Post
                Yup, Voyager II is going to be a big synth piece and then the next two releases for As Follows have a lot less of a synth influence.
                What is the status of Voyager II? I know I stopped having time to make deadlines for the contributions but then I never saw more clips posted. You can PM details if you prefer

Thanks; didn't use a single microphone this time out! Electric guitars are Ownhammer impulse responses, and the acoustic guitar is a Fishman Aura. The vocal effect is just a delay, no modulation or anything like that. The vocal effect also follows the change in perspective of the lyrics, too.
                Wow! Those impulses definitely fooled me -- they sound very natural!
                Schecter C-1 elite(alt-5, Fullshred)
                Fender Strat (Jb jr, ssl-2)
                Mesa Boogie Rectoverb
                Marshall 1960a
                Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Comment

Voyager II is 90% complete and ready for mixing! It will be released soon followed shortly thereafter by Foundation, which has been getting the lion's share of my attention of late. The live version of AF is also putting a dent in my schedule that could otherwise be used for working on the albums. We are up to a quintet now, sounds very full.

Comment

Thanks for listening!

Comment

Working...
                    X