Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Excelvan BM-800 condenser mic $25.99 Amazon deal

Originally posted by Securb View Post
    Not looking to derail but how do you think the Excelvan BM-800 condenser mic would compare to the mics used on recordings in the 50's - 60's?
    It's a good question and one you should definitely look into in more depth when you have the time.

The short answer is: not at all.

The history of the condenser microphone is tied directly with advances from WWII, the discovery/creation/implementation of permanent magnets, and miniaturization of circuit topologies using Field Effect Transistors instead of discrete circuitry.

Things we take for granted today like low self-noise, high SPL handling, high dynamic range, and non-omnidirectional polar patterns are relatively recent designs in terms of wide use in recording and broadcast. In the 1950s and 1960s it would be far more common to see valve-driven, large condenser microphones or full size or 'miniature' ribbon microphones in recording studios, and electret microphones in broadcast.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by TwilightOdyssey; 07-26-2017, 07:03 AM.
    Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
    My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

I just got my second one in the mail today. Not bad considering I ordered it last night.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

Comment

The power of Amazon.
        Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
        My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

So, how is it? I'm always looking for more mics.
          Nope...

Comment

I like it. The first time I recorded guitar with it, I had it too far away from the cab, and the bass sounded mushy. Moved it to about 18" from the speakers and the results were dramatically better. Nice and clear. Do they sound like a $3000 mic? I have no idea. But they don't sound like a $25 mic either.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

Comment

I still have a pair of them although I haven't recorded anything in the last nine months.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Are you saying that you could plug them into your phone?

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
                  Are you saying that you could plug them into your phone?

Most of them come with an XLR>1/8" converter cable included, I think so people can use them as podcast mics.
                  They're even cheaper than back in 2017: the $25 price now usually includes shockmount, pop filter and clamp-on articulated desk stand.
                  (EDIT: or get just the mic & shockmount on sale for $13 right now:
                  https://www.ebay.com/itm/38415595627...wAAOSwgXZfcsl8)

Decent condenser mics actually. Pretty brash in the highs compared to a quality studio condenser.*
                  Which can make them harsh and/or sibilant under certain circumstances.
                  I'm absolutely amazed they can make a mic like this for the price though.

The electronics are decent (though less than robust as one would expect); its Achilles heel is the diaphragm.
                  Not awful, just cloned from a design that needs high-end rolloff which this circuitry doesn't provide.

*MicParts sells an upgrade kit based on the classic Neumann U47 capsule.
                  https://microphone-parts.com/collect...ophone-capsule

I've been tempted to try this route for quite some time, but I always seem to have several projects going on at once.
                  Last edited by eclecticsynergy; 07-31-2021, 10:11 PM.
                  "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

The brashness is probably what I like most about them. I use them to record a three piece during live practice. That super sensitive top end helps lend clarity to an otherwise questionable room.

Comment

Working...
                    X