banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Some random thoughts on using drum samples/drum replacement (MixCon 2017)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some random thoughts on using drum samples/drum replacement (MixCon 2017)

The last time I tried using drum samples was several years ago before the technology was as fluid and consistent as it is today. I know that there is nary a mix made theses days without some sample used; even amazing drummers in amazing rooms (Portnoy, Mangini) have samples added to their recorded drum sounds.

I have always been an advocate of using the original drum sounds, but I have also always been the recording engineer for the drums and could get most of what I wanted during tracking. Now I am handed pre recorded drum tracks 95% of the time. Still, I prefer to use the original tracks. I am not anti-sample but have really had no recent experience using them and the last time I did triggering was still in its infancy.

MixCon 2017 a couple of weeks ago really opened my eyes to some very cool and inventive ways to use the consistency of samples for enhancing drums. In particular, the master class by Rich Chycki (Rush, Dream Theater) was very enlightening. He uses a really cool trick that is an innovative solution to a specific issue.

Problem: when you EQ and compress a kick drum to add beater, you also add some nasty artefacts and noise.

Solution: Chycki converts the kick drum to MIDI (whilst keeping the original kick) and adds what he calls a 'tick'. It's a high frequency percussion sound almost like a metronome click but with no body at all. He then blends it into the kick until he gets just the hint of it. Presto, kick attack DONE, and two minutes of work instead of 30.

So as I prepped a song for mixing this week, I gave it a shot: using LPX's Drum Copy Or Replace I had a MIDI track in a matter of seconds. I played it against the original kick to check the phase and then put a high pass filter on the sample very high, at aound 600Hz, retaining just the tick. I solo'd the kick track and then blended in the tick. And blow me down, it worked a treat!

That tip alone was worth the time it took to attend MixCon.

As I try out other tips from MixCon I will post them if anyone has any interest.
    Last edited by TwilightOdyssey; 07-21-2017, 07:09 AM.
    Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
    My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Re: Some random thoughts on using drum samples/drum replacement (MixCon 2017)

Of course post more if it works! I will have to try that out.

Cool concept. I do very similar when adding oomph to a kick (in the form of a 50-60ish HZ sine wave, thanks $Beer for that!), or pink noise under a snare hit.

How are you converting to MIDI? I tried the built in function in Sonar and it worked OK, but for what I've been doing I've just been triggering off the waveform itself with KTDrumTrigger and it works great.

Side note: What I'm doing is slightly different from Twilight Odyssey. For the sine wave / pink noise you need to have a signal generator armed on a track with a gate. The gate is set to open when it receives a signal from KTDrumTrigger. Fair warning, put the gate on and crank that threshold down before you engage the signal generator or its going to get real annoying real fast.
    TOUQUE ROCK...EH???? I AM CANADIAN

Comment

MIDI conversion is right through Logic and it preserved the original timing and velocities really well. It helps to have a very clean, high SNR track in the first instance.
      Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
      My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Nice, yeah for sample layering it would be nice to preserve velocities.
        TOUQUE ROCK...EH???? I AM CANADIAN

Comment

Working...
        X