How To Get Randy Rhoads Tone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How To Get Randy Rhoads Tone

Man, this vid was a beast to do. Had to polish chops, learn passages more intricately, remember parts I haven't played in decades, lay down some rhythm/harmonies and the editing took forever.

Anyhoo, here it is; how to get *real* Randy Rhoads tone just like on the album:

(My next vid will be Ronni LeTekro of TNT)
    Last edited by LLL; 08-03-2017, 08:46 PM.

Re: How To Get Randy Rhoads Tone

Really looking forward to the Tekrø! He was a beast back in the day, and (unlike Randy) I love his tone!

Comment

Originally posted by Sirion View Post
      Really looking forward to the Tekrø! He was a beast back in the day, and (unlike Randy) I love his tone!
      He always had a cool composition style. Although I could certainly pass on that "flutter picking" or whatever his word was for that half trem picking half synchronized run.

Comment

Oh yeah!

BTW, would you happen to have "viking" blood (e.g. Scandinavian)? How do you pronounce "LeTekrø"?

1) Le-TECH-ro

or

2) Le-TEEK-ro

?

Comment

Originally posted by LLL View Post
          Oh yeah!

BTW, would you happen to have "viking" blood (e.g. Scandinavian)? How do you pronounce "LeTekrø"?

1) Le-TECH-ro

or

2) Le-TEEK-ro

?
          Neither,

Leh -tehk- roo-uh (very slight on the oo, with more emphasis on the uh) you have to round your mouth out a bit to pronounce it. closer to the oo sound in foot, but rounder with more rise at the end.
          Last edited by Joey Voltage; 08-04-2017, 01:43 PM.

Comment

Oh yeah!

1) Le-TECH-ro

or

2) Le-TEEK-ro

?
            Yes, I'm Norwegian. The pronunciation is a bit tricky for the simple reason that the "Le" in the middle is made up; his birth name is Rolf Ågrim Tekrø; everybody agrees that changing it was a good idea for somebody wanting to be a rock guitarist.

I'll start with the last part. The Norwegian-Danish ø tends to throw a lot of foreigners off. It is pronounced approximately like the u in 'under', but held slightly longer. Wikipedia suggests a standard British pronunciation of 'urban', where the 'r' is nearly omitted, as an approximation. Like Joey, I think the first part of that name is best thought of as 'tekh', which adds up to something like tekh-ru*, with the u as mentioned above, and, again, with a rising inflection, again as suggested by Joey.

When it comes to 'Le', that is for unknown reasons pronounced 'Lee' in Norwegian, with a very thin-sounding l that is made by putting your tongue towards the upper teeth. I think the reason is that he puts a space in 'Le Tekrø'.

BUT, and this is a big one: Ronni lived much of the eighties in New York, and it would surprise me if he didn't consider a more intuitive US pronunciation at least to be an acceptable variant of his name. I don't think it is something worth sweating; after all, I don't think many people pronounce Van Halen with a Dutch f for v!

Comment

I'll start with the last part. The Norwegian-Danish ø tends to throw a lot of foreigners off. It is pronounced approximately like the u in 'under', but held slightly longer. Wikipedia suggests a standard British pronunciation of 'urban', where the 'r' is nearly omitted, as an approximation. Like Joey, I think the first part of that name is best thought of as 'tekh', which adds up to something like tekh-ru*, with the u as mentioned above, and, again, with a rising inflection, again as suggested by Joey.
              The ø is often the hardest one as well to try to phonetically spell out and explain. It will certainly throw almost all American English speakers off, because there really is no direct equivalent. The closest I have heard is how some midwesterners pronounce the word root. I could see people from northern UK have an easier time with it though. How it's paired also makes it tricky and sound a bit different from word to word. If you want to have some fun with native English speakers, make them try to pronounce øl , and they will almost certainly repeat back "earl". Øy is another good one, or smørbrød.

Comment

One last thing just for the sake of being difficult, the "r" in tekrø would also have a very slight roll.

Comment

Well then...

For simplicity's sake, I think I'll just stick to "Le TECH ro" and lefse.

...but hold the lutefisk. Please.

Comment

Well then...

For simplicity's sake, I think I'll just stick to "Le TECH ro" and lefse.

...but hold the lutefisk. Please.
                    I think most would offer you brunost with the lefse these days.

Comment

The lutefisk is pretty much the the entry-level variant anyway. Try rakfisk. Or smalahove.

Comment

Working...
                      X