The Beatles Recording Reference Manuals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Beatles Recording Reference Manuals

From first take to final remix, discover the making of the greatest pop recordings of all time in this best-selling series by author Jerry Hammack.

Received Vol. 1 in the mail on Friday and am about 40 pages deep. This is Jerry Hammack's attempt at corrolating the information in The Beatles Recording Sessions with Beatles Gear in an exhaustive session by session breakdown that includes the former information along with charts detailing the superimposition (overdub) process and mixdowns. (This is the information I was interested in, how the sub tracks were grouped prior to mixing).

It also attempts to clarify any errors in the earlier works, though there is already some controversy about the information presented in this book as well.

Whilst definitely being of interest to the hardcore Beatles fan, this book is really aimed at recording nerds; every session is broken down into what microphones, plug ins, outboard gear, tape types, consoles, and recording decks were used; what takes were bounced down and why; how the final remix was compiled from the individual elements.

What I find amazing is how much pre planning went into a single song. With just two tracks, and many times just one, a live take had to be recorded over another take and then you were married to that version or had to start over (or use the mono backup presumably). Mind blowing concept in today's age of infinite choice and options.

The book itself has a textbook look and feel, marred by a few typos but nothing numerous or egregious.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	5845023
    Last edited by TwilightOdyssey; 08-06-2017, 07:58 AM.
    Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
    My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Re: The Beatles Recording Reference Manuals

S C O R E !

Comment

wow that is some dedication to craft
      My Bands -
      https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
      www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
      www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
      GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

The Beatles catalogue will always be treated with reverence, I think; personally I am glad that this wealth of information is being captured before everyone that was there is dead and gone and we have a generational disconnect.

Comment

Interesting he's got the German and foreign sessions. Need to have this.

For the Abbey Road and other London sessions (like Trident, Delane Lea, etc.), the Curvebender book Recording The Beatles is pretty definitive. Ryan and Kehew actually sat with the original engineers and were given access to George Martin's original handwritten notes, etc. They cover all the equipment, even dissecting the REDD and TS desks amp by amp and cassette by cassette, including the modifications made by EMI engineers, even covers all outboard gear including gear 'available at the session but not confirmed used' on the sessions, and the rigid recording process of EMI, including mastering and disc cutting. It's ends up far more about EMI's recording process with The Beatles as a case study.

Comment

Yup, it all depends on what you are looking for!

For me, it's the overdub and submix process.

Comment

Working...
            X