Guitar setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Guitar setup

I set up my guitars with very little relief and the action at the 12th around .070. I then tweak it from there up or down a bit depending on the guitar and how it feels.

I used to take it is as some kind of challenge to get extremely low action without buzz, but now I try to set it where it sounds best while still being comfortable to play.

I tend to tune everything down a half step, and I use 10s on 25.5 and 11s on 24.75
    -Chris

Originally posted by John Suhr
    “Practice cures most tone issues”

Comment

I used to like it super low when I started out, but once I got more into bending I liked it slightly higher (not SRV high).

Comment

I usually go with just high enough to not buzz when I pick hard, and I tend to pick hard a lot more than I realized. I mostly do rhythm parts in my current band, so it frees me up to be a little more "demonstrative" and get into it more.

Comment

Guitar setup

I like the action fairly low, provided there isn't any buzzing. I can deal with it being up a little but if the adjacent strings are getting in the way or my fingers are slipping under them that's no good.

Comment

i put 11's on all my electrics these days and usually have a higher than average action. i play slide and dont switch guitars and frequently play with my fingers, palming the pick. ive been playing 11's with higher action for years so its just comfortable for me. light strings and low action are more of a challenge for me since im not used to them

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
              light strings and low action are more of a challenge for me since im not used to them
              Sounds like we have similar touches with the exception of slide- I have a home made action riser that kicks action up to about 1/4 inch- anything less and I manage to fret something or smack neck edges. Wish I could play with standard action because I do play standard tuning, but still have to dedicate a guitar to slide for most gigs.

Off topic- if anyone wants to make a slide riser, chop off the ends of an old screw driver, grind it flat on one side and pad the flat side with heavy tape.

It slides under the strings above the 1st fret and only challenge is that everything is off a 1/2 step with standard tuning.
              Last edited by zionstrat; 10-03-2017, 10:25 AM.
              What's so Funny about Peace Love and Understanding?

Comment

I'm too lazy to be high strung.
                Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8; 10:13; 10:9-10

Teknon Theou
                https://youtube.com/channel/UCo848I2...e4jKB5DNZ4Y7hs
                Complaining that there are hypocrites in church is like complaining that fat people use the gym. Where else would you have them be?

Comment

I don't get no action when setting my guitar up, but after playing, woo hoo!

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
                    I don't get no action when setting my guitar up, but after paying, woo hoo!
                    Fixed-quote!

Comment

Working...
                    X