banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unusual things you do to prepare for gig?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Unusual things you do to prepare for gig?

Originally posted by Metalman_666 View Post
    A couple days or the night before I'll play through the set myself and see if the guitars for that gig need any last minute maintenance. I've chanced going to gigs without extra strings before and it's nerve-wracking!

I try to get some exercise in on gig day. If I have time I'll go for a run or hit the gym, but try not to lift too much and tire out my arms/hands/guitar muscles other than lifting our gear.

After exercise, if there's time before heading to the venue I'll pick up a guitar and run through the "choke parts" (that term is going in my vocab!), and just play through the set by myself. When at the venue, after loading in, I'll do the same, play a little and warm up. Then I'll go mill about with people and have a beer or cocktail.

My hands get chilly and stiff when I get nervous (happens every time) so I'll wear an extra long-sleeve layer to stay warm. I have to hit the can maybe 10-15 minutes before playing, and wash my hands with soap and warm-to-hot water to get the blood flowing, and make sure my fingers are smooth across the strings. A bit more noodling and quickly practicing any hard parts before hitting the stage. Sometimes a bit of jumping around or dancing to get pumped up. If I need a drink refill, I'll grab one now. If there's time once my amp is setup and on standby, I'll run to the can and do the quick hot water wash one last time so it's only clean hands on my guitar.

In an ideal world I get to do all these things, but the most important to me are keeping my whole body (especially hands) warm and loose, and at least one hand wash.
    Exercise and washing... I need more of both[emoji41] Good ones.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
    What's so Funny about Peace Love and Understanding?

Comment

Get the drummer all worked up until he is as angry as a rabid ape and let him pound the top of the drums clean out the bottom.

Comment

I always check and double check that I have all my gear ready to go and that its in working order. I exercise my fingers and hands, Go over the tunes that I will sing for the event and have a short practice. Like to show up about half hr to 40 minutes early, to relax and do some warm ups especially in winter to get the body warmed up.
        If learning isn't difficult at times you're not learning.

RocknRoll will never die ( I wont let it! )

Comment

I turn Japanese, turn Japanese..
          I really do so.

Comment

Originally posted by Paully View Post
            I turn Japanese, turn Japanese..
            I really do so.
            Interning for wrvq hundred of years ago at a Vapors gig we turned Japanese for 1 night

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
            What's so Funny about Peace Love and Understanding?

Comment

Practice

Comment

Working...
              X