Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bringin On The Heartbreak (full)

Full tune here; mostly cleaned up and tweaked:

Last edited by LLL; 11-14-2017, 10:24 PM.

Re: Bringin On The Heartbreak (full)

sounds great as always. Now you just need 30 tracks of vocals and you got it
    TOUQUE ROCK...EH???? I AM CANADIAN

Comment

Originally posted by Kamanda~SD View Post
      Now you just need 30 tracks of vocals and you got it
      HAH - is that the Mutt Lange method to vocals?

EMT 140 Plate Reverb is a beautiful (and very prolific) thing...

Comment

Originally posted by LLL View Post
        HAH - is that the Mutt Lange method to vocals?

EMT 140 Plate Reverb is a beautiful (and very prolific) thing...
        Yup! Here's a snippet from Mike Shipley (RIP)

Originally posted by Mike Shipley
        We only ever did the moving away from the mic thing , for a rock aproach. For all the pop BV's that Mutt would do on his own , would be just stacked up 20 or so tracks per harmony, sometimes more , sometimes less. We would bounce them into 4 tracks per harmony and as for panning , we'd pan them pretty much wide all the time. Having used a ridiculous amount of eq to get the right sound. A lot of level riding is also used as is editing all the "S's" and hard consonants to line up to stop the flamming .
        EDIT:

Just to add I had my first whack at having real Backing Vocals on one of my tracks recently (I will post when complete). The guy sent me 10 tracks of BV's. Basically 5 different harmonies / timbres all doubled. What a treat it was, and really makes a difference.
        Last edited by Kamanda~SD; 11-09-2017, 01:25 PM.

Comment

The Mutt approach is to stuff people into a computer and turn sound into 0001 02010 1210 2120 0021 1002 2012 0220 0010 2100 1012....

Comment

I'd go bananas trying to record with him. Probably

Comment

Before your thread may turn into a debate, I should clarify: Mutt seems to like taking a six string chord and record each note 30 times then record the full chord 30 times and blend it all together into one chord. Bananas I say.

Comment

Please keep it all in one post.

Saying he turns everything into 1's and 0's is pretty naive. He is certainly meticulous, and has done the 'record one note of a chord at a time' hell, on hysteria they would EQ the vocals per word sometimes! Compare that to something like HTH or BIB which are rather raw yet cohesive. BIB is the standard for rock reference mixes. I realize his work is not for everyone, but the fact that the three albums I've mentioned in this post have sold over 70 million records speaks for itself.

Anyways, back on topic.

Comment

I knew it would come. I like straight pipes. That's all. I don't speak foul of the commercial success. 1's and 0's IS naive. I like hitting enter.

Comment

It's all cool. It's just discussion, and people can disagree without it being a big f'n deal (cuz it isn't).

Yes, Mutt is insane.

Although I am reminded of an early huge hit ("I'm Not In Love") by 10cc back in 1975 where they recorded a bazillion vocal tracks to
                    get that ethereal sound.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I%27m_Not_in_Love

Stewart spent three weeks recording Gouldman, Godley and Creme singing "ahhh" 16 times for each note of the chromatic scale, building up a "choir" of 48 voices for each note of the scale. The main problem facing the band was how to keep the vocal notes going for an infinite length of time, but Creme suggested that they could get around this issue by using tape loops. Stewart created loops of about 12 feet in length by feeding the loop at one end though the tape heads of the stereo recorder in the studio, and at the other end through a capstan roller fixed to the top of a microphone stand, and tensioned the tape. By creating long loops the 'blip' caused by the splice in each tape loop could be drowned out by the rest of the backing track, providing that the blips in each loop did not coincide with each other. Having created twelve tape loops for each of the 12 notes of the chromatic scale, Stewart played each loop through a separate channel of the mixing desk. This effectively turned the mixing desk into a musical instrument complete with all the notes of the chromatic scale, which the four members together then "played", fading up three or four channels at a time to create "chords" for the song's melody. Stewart had put gaffer's tape across the bottom of each channel, which meant it was impossible to completely fade down the tracks for each note; this resulted in the constant background hiss of vocals heard throughout the song.[3] Composer and music theory professor Thomas MacFarlane considered the resulting "ethereal voices" with distorted synthesized effects that are an example of early synclavier music to be a major influence on Billy Joel's hit ballad "Just the Way You Are", released two years later.[8]

Comment

Originally posted by Kamanda~SD View Post
                      Please keep it all in one post.

Saying he turns everything into 1's and 0's is pretty naive. He is certainly meticulous, and has done the 'record one note of a chord at a time' hell, on hysteria they would EQ the vocals per word sometimes! Compare that to something like HTH or BIB which are rather raw yet cohesive. BIB is the standard for rock reference mixes. I realize his work is not for everyone, but the fact that the three albums I've mentioned in this post have sold over 70 million records speaks for itself.

Anyways, back on topic.
                      Please don't credit commercial success to how a record is made. It's pretty naive. The market defines whether your record should go multi platinum or to the discount bin.

The general public doesn't give a f**k whether a record is produced by f**kin Bob Rock or in a bedroom using Audacity.

Anyway, I actually sang along with the track. Good job triple L.

Comment

Originally posted by Obsessive Compulsive View Post
                        Anyway, I actually sang along with the track. Good job triple L.
                        Thanks - yeah love that 2203 tone!

Comment

Mutts success speaks for itself.
                          If learning isn't difficult at times you're not learning.

RocknRoll will never die ( I wont let it! )

Comment

sounds pretty damn close, maybe a bit more raw. The clean parts on the original track were done on two guitars slightly out of tune with each other.

Comment

I think this is the only Def Leppard song I like. Bummer the cool instrumental piece isn't on the tail end, but it sounds great.
                              “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Working...
                              X