Do you continue to take lessons from an Instructor even after 3years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you continue to take lessons from an Instructor even after 3years

I continue to take lessons, and I believe for anybody who can afford to, its well worth it. To know theory has a serious impact on learning guitar and understanding the Instrument. There is also much more to learn about as well.
    Last edited by Godin15; 12-07-2017, 02:56 PM.
    If learning isn't difficult at times you're not learning.

RocknRoll will never die ( I wont let it! )

Re: Do you continue to take lessons from an Instructor even after 3years

I've been playing multiple instruments for over 40 years. Every couple of years, I get with a good instructor for about 6 months, just to review and touch up my skills. That's even though I stopped playing gigs in the early 80's. Keeps me from getting into too many bad habits. We should NEVER stop learning, or thinking we know it all.
    aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

I’ve been playing for 40 years and don’t work it’s an instructor (never have) BUT I vacuum up free lessons on YouTube - there is such a wealth of insight and information out there! Much, much different to my formative years, where learning was a case of “listen, play along and work it out”.

More recently, I did sign up with Paul Gilbert’s Artistworks course last year. It was great, and I’d highly recommend it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by VinceT View Post
        I’ve been playing for 40 years and don’t work it’s an instructor (never have) BUT I vacuum up free lessons on YouTube - there is such a wealth of insight and information out there! Much, much different to my formative years, where learning was a case of “listen, play along and work it out”.

More recently, I did sign up with Paul Gilbert’s Artistworks course last year. It was great, and I’d highly recommend it.

I’ve been curious about Paul’s stuff.

Comment

I think YouTube lessons do help, I believe you will learn more from a private Instructor one on one. You cant beat hands on experience by a Professional who can guide you along the way, who can see your strengths and your weaknesses. I would not be where I am now in my learning, by doing online video instruction it just isn't the same.
          Last edited by Godin15; 12-07-2017, 05:19 PM.
          If learning isn't difficult at times you're not learning.

RocknRoll will never die ( I wont let it! )

Comment

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post
            I’ve been curious about Paul’s stuff.
            It’s very well done as a learning platform and he’s a) a really, really nice guy, and b) a monster player (obviously) - he has a way of breaking down patterns that I use all the time now, focusing on transitions and tempo.

The real value is in the videos, though - he responds to individual clips of learners, spots what they’re doing that could be improved and then gives specific exercises/advice - it all adds up to HOURS of content over and above he core lessons.

Well worth the investment.

Comment

Randy Rhoades was taking lesson up until the day he died. That is motivation enough for me to continuously seek out great teachers.

Comment

Learning stuff from any source you can is what I do. I teach now, but if I meet a great player or teacher that does stuff I don't understand, I ask..and I am a sponge. I will always be a student.
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Paul Gilbert announced a while ago that while the site will remain active, he will not be critiquing or responding individually any longer.

I studied jazz/classical and arranging for about ten years from middle school through college, then took a bunch of master classes in the 90s (mostly jazz), and in the early 2000’s was enrolled in George Lynch’s Guitar Dojo (which I loved).

I don’t have time for formal instruction these days, but if I did, I certainly would.
                  Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
                  My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Lessons
                    Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8; 10:13; 10:9-10

Teknon Theou
                    https://youtube.com/channel/UCo848I2...e4jKB5DNZ4Y7hs
                    Complaining that there are hypocrites in church is like complaining that fat people use the gym. Where else would you have them be?

Comment

I've been playing for over 25 years, with six months to a year of basic lessons at the start
                      Since then I've been self taught from a variety of sources.

This year I found a professional teacher near me and have gone back to lessons and I'm really happy with my progress.

My lack of theory was holding me back and it's cool to be learning more and improving my playing also...first thing I was told was that my hand positions were off which was frustrating after well over 20 years of playing, that has improved a lot after a pretty short time. I'm looking forward to continued improvement as I learn more theory etc. Overall a necessary experience for my progress.

Originally posted by Securb View Post
                      Randy Rhoades was taking lesson up until the day he died. That is motivation enough for me to continuously seek out great teachers.
                      I read that he could play a phrase, solo etc. and repeat it perfectly straight away and I notice that my ability to repeat phrases without errors has improved significantly since going back to lessons with an actual instructor - albeit a long way from perfect still.

Comment

Working...
                      X