G&L SC3 - Steven Malkmus Cover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G&L SC3 - Steven Malkmus Cover

Chartjunk by Steven Malkmus; G&L SC3 (similar to S500) into a Presonus interface & GarageBand

Chartjunk by Steven Malkmus (Cover)

I kept it simple because I'm not a pro This is "warts and all" (I didn't make effort to over-dub little mistakes for fake perfection, just tried to get my best few takes within reason for guitar/bass/voice.)

Def. trying to get better (recording and playing) and appreciate feedback; thanks!
    Last edited by Silence Kid; 02-21-2018, 12:31 AM.
    Originally posted by King Buzzo
    I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

Re: G&L SC3 - Steven Malkmus Cover

Good job, you have an expressive voice. Solo/outro sounds great too! I would like to hear you sing a Dead Milkmen song!

Comment

Thanks! As far as the vocals I concentrated on just keeping it under control; that was not an ideal or comfortable key for me. Felt like my voice lacked power & sensitivity at that range. In the original version, Malkmus' higher voice cracks beyond his own headroom and rasps, which I was unable to do. So I tried something different/simpler. Glad To hear some positive thoughts on it
      I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

Comment

Yeah, one of things i like about Malkmus's songs (especially the Pavement records) is that many are so fragile and jangly that they sound like they could fall apart any second.

Comment

btw, how do you like your G&L?

Comment

It's pretty great. A very solid "Strat" with MFDs and two knobs. The pickups have VERY strong treble; maybe not as sparkly as Alnico singles but fatter, and combined positions sound great (not used in this recording though.) An S500 of this era had an extra knob and more possible spec. options but the same body shape.

Comment

Working...
            X