Favorite Chord

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite Chord

In high school, I came up with this chord shape for a song. Since then, it’s been my jumping off point for any funk jamming, and probably the first thing I do 99% of the time I grab a guitar. After 20+ years, I decided to figure out what the chord actually is. Turns out it’s a 7no5. If I play an E7no5, it’s 7 on the A, 6 on the D, 7 on the G. Try it out, it’s awesome for funky rhythm playing and sliding around.

Got a favorite out of the ordinary chord to share?
    “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Re: Favorite Chord

13 is my #1 chord. You can also bar your pinky on the 2nd and 1st string to include the 9th.

Click image for larger version

Name:	13 chord.png
Views:	1
Size:	3.5 KB
ID:	5806421
    Last edited by Clint 55; 04-29-2018, 03:29 PM.
    The things that you wanted
    I bought them for you

Comment

This isn't too interesting a chord by any means, but I like the F chord played without a bar. You wrap your thumb around for low E string and bar the B and e strings with your pointer. There is nothing interesting or different about it musically, but I always use it for photographs.
      You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
      Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

One of my favorites is an A chord with the B string left open, an Aadd9.
        Can bar it anywhere on the neck, and since it has no third it works with major or minor.

Another favorite (not useful as often, but great once in a while) is the 1st position F chord with the G and high E strings left open.
        In the right spot it's magic.
        "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Csus2
          Guitars:
          Daemoness Atlantean (unknown Bareknuckles) D
          PRS SE Mark Holcomb (Alpha/Omega set) Drop C
          ESP LTD EC-1000 FR (EMG Het Set) D
          Jackson USA WR1 Absinthe Frost (EMG 81/85) D
          Ibanez MMM1 (Blackouts) Drop A
          Ibanez RGIT20FE-SBF (Loomis Blackout Neck/Mick Thomson Blackout Bridge) Drop C
          Ibanez SZ320 (ibanez/duncan pickups) Drop D
          Schecter Synyster Gates Custom (Invaders set) D
          Aristides 060 (Bareknuckle Aristides Customs) D

Comment

Well my guitars range from Eb down to C#-standards, so it would obviously reflect that, but anyways,,
            I'm going to say it's some sort of E-chord,,,,,,,,,,,please enlighten me anyone.

Comment

Originally posted by dave74 View Post
              Well my guitars range from Eb down to C#-standards, so it would obviously reflect that, but anyways,,
              I'm going to say it's some sort of E-chord,,,,,,,,,,,please enlighten me anyone.

EMaj9. Could also be thought of as a B major chord over an E in the bass: BMaj/E. Steely Dan used that type of chord a lot.
              "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Fmaj7. I always liked how it never sounded quite happy or sad
                sigpic
                Warmoth Split Jazzmaster (Zhangbucker Crushbucker UOA5 splat, Cherrick tapped)
                Dunlop Crybaby
                MXR Custom Comp
                GFS Twin Overdrive
                Boss BD-2 Bluesdriver
                Blackstar HT-DISTX
                Seymour Duncan 84-40 (Weber Grey Wolf Light Dope)

Comment

Cadd9 played in "open G shape" is just perfect sound from steel string acoustic. Creamy and full. It has transcended itself into lot of my electric guitar playing in some form.
                  "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
                  Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

This mutha lovin shape is my nemesis. I can never grab it smoothly even though it's common.

Click image for larger version

Name:	7 shape.png
Views:	1
Size:	2.4 KB
ID:	5806471
                    The things that you wanted
                    I bought them for you

Comment

I have The Spy Chord.

But it's Top Secret.
                      Originally posted by LesStrat
                      Yogi Berra was correct.
                      Originally posted by JOLLY
                      I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

This really pretty A chord.

- Tom

Originally posted by Frankly
                        Some people make the wine. Some people drink the wine. And some people sniff the cork and wonder what might have been.
                        The Eagle never lost so much time as when he submitted to learn of the Crow.

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
                          In high school, I came up with this chord shape for a song. Since then, it’s been my jumping off point for any funk jamming, and probably the first thing I do 99% of the time I grab a guitar. After 20+ years, I decided to figure out what the chord actually is. Turns out it’s a 7no5. If I play an E7no5, it’s 7 on the A, 6 on the D, 7 on the G. Try it out, it’s awesome for funky rhythm playing and sliding around.

Got a favorite out of the ordinary chord to share?
                          That little triangle-shaped chord of yours is the classic "cheater" 7th chord that can be moved practically anywhere on the neck real quick. It's not only common, but totally awesome, and practically essential for many types of music, and for understanding and moving around the guitar well.

Three things you can easily do with it to switch it up:

1) Try adding the pinky on the 8th fret B string. Nice dissonant/funky chord that puts a high minor 3rd (properly called a #9 in this case) over the cheater 7th chord.

2) Instead of just playing the 7th fret on the G string in that chord, lay (i.e. half bar) your ring finger across the G, B, and high E strings. That gives you a 9th chord (as well as giving you the missing 5th from your chord – albeit in a higher octave).

3) Instead of playing it 1-3-b7, you can bring your pinky in and play it 1-5-b7. This is a less tense and more straight ahead sound, which you can also alternate with the version that has the 3rd in it for variation and melodic effect.
                          Last edited by ItsaBass; 05-08-2018, 11:18 PM.
                          Originally posted by LesStrat
                          Yogi Berra was correct.
                          Originally posted by JOLLY
                          I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Working...
                          X