Picking Technique - My Thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Picking Technique - My Thoughts

I was going to respond to another thread with this, but it sort of blew up into its own thing so... Offering a few thoughts on what I've (re)learned about picking in the last couple years as I basically taught myself guitar over again after a decade-long break. I'm not an expert but - A few things that helped me along the way with my picking technique, something that was a particular struggle for me:

-I got more solid by using thinner picks; thick picks I once used made me sloppy in maintaining an even pick angle with the strings, since they just power through the strings anyway. You need to maintain the correct angle on a thin pick more carefully to get an even "hit" vs. the pick scraping/sliding off. Thin picks lack dynamics, so I do need to switch it up every once in a while if you want to practice that; but I do still go back to thinner picks on occasion to keep my geometry correct

-Blunt-tipped picks (like a Jazz I or a nickel) also cause me to be more strict and disciplined with pick angle (again at the cost of dynamics)

-On the other hand, thicker picks require greater hand strength and minute muscle control to use, thus you can develop greater hand strength using them

-I had a habit to hold the pick waaay toward the end, not choking up enough. Using a smaller pick (Jazz I or Jazz III) helped

-Thinner strings (treble in particular) offer far less picking feedback than thick strings; for example, it's a lot easier to tremolo pick say the low E than the high E. I attribute a lot of that to the lack of feedback the thin strings offer when you hit them (especially if you use a thicker pick.) So... I practice with thinner strings

-Again there's a flip-side that greater left-hand (and right hand) strength is required to fret and pick thick strings so there's a benefit to practicing with those; usually I just play acoustic when I feel the need to do this since I'd rather not wrestle with a thick-stringed electric. Heavier strings overall are far less compressed in sound so practicing with them can give you ultimately more control over your playing

Basically? I use a ****ing ton of different picks, guitars and strings in my rotation to keep on my game as best I can as a bedroom (technically usually kitchen) player. Feel free to refute or add to any of this.
    Originally posted by King Buzzo
    I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

Re: Picking Technique - My Thoughts

I ended up in a different spot but I agree with your overall approach

I had been using Jazziii since the 90s and a few months ago I started experimenting and ended up with a big rounded pick in a different material (for vpicks not JD207).

In terms of actual picking technique I'm an economy picker but I've seen amazing pickers with almost any style.

Comment

Working...
    X