strap/straplock care

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• strap/straplock care

question: i sweat very bad when I play, esp in the garage where my amp was. I got a guitar out recently that I hadnt played in awhile and the strap was moldy and the straplock was all rusty. So, yes.... first lesson.. I must dry it before putting away in case. BUT.. now that the damage is done.. what do I do? I wiped the mold off the strap with spic and span and am soaking the straplocks in wd40. not sure I can salvage the one.

Any other tips on prevention? leather strap cleaning and care?? straplock care? ( mostly dunlops, some schallars) Thanks
    Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Re: strap/straplock care

I am guessing the straplock care is the same as any metal hardware on the guitar- wipe it down, make sure everything is tight, and after each show, go over the guitar closely to notice these things before they get too bad.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

strap/straplock care

I think I’d be more concerned with keeping your amp in the garage where mold might grow on it.
      Is it a damp environment at all?

I keep all of my equipment in the finished basement. It’s heated, air conditioned and I run a dehumidifier.
      Completely climate controlled.

Comment

It’s fighting a losing battle in Florida, but I wonder if you could throw some Silica Gel packs in your cases?
        Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
          I am guessing the straplock care is the same as any metal hardware on the guitar- wipe it down, make sure everything is tight, and after each show, go over the guitar closely to notice these things before they get too bad.
          Guitars thoroughly wiped down before put away, but apparently, leather strap still wet.

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post
          I think I’d be more concerned with keeping your amp in the garage where mold might grow on it.
          Is it a damp environment at all?

I keep all of my equipment in the finished basement. It’s heated, air conditioned and I run a dehumidifier.
          Completely climate controlled.
          yeah, wasnt ideal sitch.. at all... But I kept it covered with both the covers and a blanket. Amp is now indoors in climate controlled environment. yay!!
          Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

If at all possible, let your stuff air out before packing it away at a gig/practice. Even I do this for at least five minutes after a playing session, and I live in a chaparral area (i.e. mildly desert like, and not typically humid).

I also suggest packing your strap outside of the main body of the case.

And if you must pack up before everything is dry, Unpack it to air when you get home. This is important. I ruined a guitar one time by not doing this. My gig bag got hit by a sprinkler while on my bike. I totally forgot about it when I got home, and let the guitar sit in the wet gig bag for months.

Packing a wet strap in your case is no good for your guitar either.

Someone above suggested silica gel ouches. They can't hurt, that's for sure. Just be sure to re-dry them in the oven every now and then (look up how online).

As long as you keep your strap locks dry, they shouldn't rust. Unless, of course, you have acidic sweat (usually caused by eating a bunch of crap).
            Originally posted by LesStrat
            Yogi Berra was correct.
            Originally posted by JOLLY
            I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
              It’s fighting a losing battle in Florida, but I wonder if you could throw some Silica Gel packs in your cases?
              Florida is really a battle. Strings last 1 show for me. That's it.

Comment

Why don't you guys just write AC-only into your contracts!

I guess that's not very roknmetal is it?

Comment

Well, almost all festival shows are outside, and outside is where the sun is.

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
                    Yeah, Florida...Sunshine..Mickey..beaches....humidity... monsoon rains and hurricaines... I really should look into the gel packs. Im sure it wouldnt hurt.. Question is, how big should I get? Im guessing some of the larger packs ? They wont dry the woods will they? I doubt it, but thought I should ask.

I usually try to let things dry, and wipe the guitars down thoroughly before packing them up. Apparently the strap was still holding alot of moisture.. Ill prolly start leaving the straps out of the case for a few days after a sweaty session as a precaution.. I guess I better go to my shed today and get all my straps out, cuz Ive rotated thru diff guitars and am terrified im gonna find this in a few more
                    Last edited by BloodRose; 07-10-2018, 08:09 AM.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

I suggest this one, I got some from my brother and grandpa who have used it for a hundred years on saddles.
                      Go buy my book. https://www.amazon.com/dp/198405564X

Comment

Working...
                      X