Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gibson T Top Pickups in a 1980s Les Paul Standard

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Gibson T Top Pickups in a 1980s Les Paul Standard

    hey guys, new member here. Just made a video showing off the vintage gibson T top pickups. This particular set has a stamp of 1980 on it.

    These pickups I feel are for the tone aficionado that wants to rock! Great tone and dynamics, but quick response for today's modern player. I hope you guys enjoy the vid. I got a vid with Seymour Duncan Seth Lovers in the same 1982 Gibson Les Paul.

    https://youtu.be/kJQFKMXWbwg

    [YOUTUBE]https://youtu.be/kJQFKMXWbwg/[YOUTUBE]

  • #2
    Re: Gibson T Top Pickups in a 1980s Les Paul Standard

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Gibson T Top Pickups in a 1980s Les Paul Standard

      Welcome to the forum!! Sounded great. I especially liked the clean tones at the beginning.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Gibson T Top Pickups in a 1980s Les Paul Standard

        Your new. Glad you love them. I have multiple 70's LP's. Only one T-Top left in them. We'll discuss when you know me better....

        I do agree with Jolley. Like the sound on the clean part. Nicely done.
        Originally posted by Bad City
        He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Gibson T Top Pickups in a 1980s Les Paul Standard

          Originally posted by JOLLY View Post
          Welcome to the forum!! Sounded great. I especially liked the clean tones at the beginning.
          Aloha, From Hawaii! Thanks for helping me embed the video! Also appreciate you taking the time to watch!

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Gibson T Top Pickups in a 1980s Les Paul Standard

            Originally posted by Aceman View Post
            Your new. Glad you love them. I have multiple 70's LP's. Only one T-Top left in them. We'll discuss when you know me better....

            I do agree with Jolley. Like the sound on the clean part. Nicely done.
            I'm really digging the T Tops. Vintage but modern. Hope to be frequenting the forum more often.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Gibson T Top Pickups in a 1980s Les Paul Standard

              Originally posted by Strattone75 View Post
              I'm really digging the T Tops. Vintage but modern. Hope to be frequenting the forum more often.
              You can find my review of T-Tops all over the Pickup Lounge.

              I say replace them with a Jazz set...

              One man's Old and Overpriced is another's Vintage but Modern! Rock them in good health!
              Originally posted by Bad City
              He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Gibson T Top Pickups in a 1980s Les Paul Standard

                Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                You can find my review of T-Tops all over the Pickup Lounge.

                I say replace them with a Jazz set...

                One man's Old and Overpriced is another's Vintage but Modern! Rock them in good health!
                Thanks Ace! If I pickup the guitar, I'm most likely gonna sell em and put a set of Duncans in em. I know quite a bit of nice sounding inexpensive pickups i could replace em with no problem.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Gibson T Top Pickups in a 1980s Les Paul Standard

                  Given the "It's old it must be awesome" prices of T-Tops these days, you can buy a set of whatever and still have beer money....
                  Originally posted by Bad City
                  He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Gibson T Top Pickups in a 1980s Les Paul Standard



                    https://youtu.be/3zGTRLY3Jhc

                    Here's the Seymour Duncan Seth Lovers.

                    Man my Samsung youtube app has no options for embed code.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      here's a quick playthrough the same LP with the Suhr Thornbucker and Thornbucker +. I like these. A little less warm than the TTop neck position and the bridge position has a bit more girth and thickness than the Ttop bridge.
                       

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        All in all, I love T Top pickups. Affordable, consistent, and not muddy like many earlier Gibson pickups can be. They are all about providing a solid, clean "blank slate" tone, and letting your right hand and your rig bring the tone and dynamics.

                        I have a '68 SG Standard with pre-T-Tops in it. I might get them re-potted at some point, but I would never replace them with other models.
                        Originally posted by LesStrat
                        Yogi Berra was correct.
                        Originally posted by JOLLY
                        I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          affordable for some. They are pretty spendy these days.
                          The thornbuckers are great also cant beat a set of 59s

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            They're too expensive now IMO. I wouldn't actually track down a set unless I was restoring a guitar to original specs.

                            But I definitely wouldn't yank them from a guitar in which they were original, in favor of something else.
                            Originally posted by LesStrat
                            Yogi Berra was correct.
                            Originally posted by JOLLY
                            I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Good point. Yeah I kept the TTops because they would be too expensive to replace. They are awesome and very "classic" but handles faster more distorted playing as well. Love em

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X