Let's talk about Vibrato

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Let's talk about Vibrato

Yeah I always do it the first way. Pivoting my finger back and forth and moving from the forearm.
    Schecter C-1 elite(alt-5, Fullshred)
    Fender Strat (Jb jr, ssl-2)
    Mesa Boogie Rectoverb
    Marshall 1960a
    Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Comment

always perpendicular to the neck...
      Splawn QR
      Splawn 4x12 w/greenbacks
      Splawn 2x12 w/ CL80s
      George Lynch Skulls n' Snakes Sig ESP w/JB trembucker

My Cover Band
      My Gear Pix
      My SPLAWN Clips
      My SPLAWN Vids/Homepage

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffrec
        I'll start a new thread this week.

....or next week,.....or.....

The whole thing is pretty simple, but takes time and practice. I agree with the other guys that practicing unplugged is good. Even using an acoustic can be a big help, because once you get back to the lighter guage strings on an electric, you feel more in control of it.

You can hook your thumb over the top of the fret board, but over time, as your technique improves it won't matter. I would practice exagerated wrist/forearm movements as you do your practicing. Over time, as your control improves, you won't have to and it becomes more natural. Also, when you play non-bended notes, rock your finger up and down on the fret (top to bottom, not up and down the neck), but wait until the note would naturally start to waver up and down (hold the note a second or two, then start to rock your finger).

As I said earlier in the thread, watch video of Gary Moore. The one that got me started was seeing that footage of Clapton demonstrating his technique backstage at the Winterland. It's the one where he also shows how he does the "woman tone" thing. Find video of Leslie West, too. They all have great vibrato. Listen to Mick Taylor on the Stones "Git Yer Ya-Ya's Out", especially on "Midnight Rambler".

Jeff
        "Hello! My name is Inigo Montoya! You killed my father. Prepare to die!"

Comment

Originally posted by JammerMatt
          A discussion with Nuni got me to thinking. Mine needs work. How do you do yours, and how did you develop it?

-Matt
          Hey Matt,
          I was just watching the Video 24 nights with EC last night. I would recommend you get a copy of this. There are several shots of Eric really digging in and it gives you a great view of watching a master execute Vibrato.
          "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
          "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

I always vibrato with just one finger, going DOWNWARDS (towards the high E). This works great in some positions on the neck, in others it's a tough cookie. I can't do it upwards! I also can't vibrato chords And I also suck in general

Comment

Vibrato usually comes relatively easy to me, probably bcause i listen to alot of neoclassical like Yngwie. I'm ordering a warmoth neck with a scalloped fretboard for a new strat. I cant wait!
              "So you'll never have to listen to surf music again." -Hendrix

Comment

I like vibrato a lot. It is hard to develop it to the point that it sounds really cool but it is worth it. Personally the more I use it the more I like it. I can't manage it on a bent note though. I need some work there

Comment

Depends on what I feel it needs.

Sometimes, if it needs a subtle vibrato I grab the string and pull it up and down the neck (bridge to nut). I particularly like the way this sounds on the wound strings.

Other times I do it the more common way and pull it across the neck. I don't know if it's correct, but I bend it up and down (except on the high E, which only gets bent up). I find I can get it to go wider and sound smoother that way.

If I'm applying vibrato to an already bent note I usually use the second method, though occasionally I'd change it up for something different.

As for speed, I vary that to suit the music. A pause and slow, wide, and graceful vibrato is sweet sounding, but if the songs 200bpm you generally don't have time. Likewise, if you're playing at 80bpm tossing in the vibrato used in the last example is akin to pre-mature ejaculation - starts too fast and is over too soon.
                  || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

for vibrato i like slash and SRV and a little petrucci.

Comment

Working...
                    X