Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A very late change....

Hey everyone,

O.k. this may be a little long....(sorry)

Recently I've decided to change part of my picking technique, I need some positive reinforcement !!!

Ive been playing for nearly 20 years just for fun and I came up during the 80's shred era so even though my tastes have changed, I still appreciate a killer run / arpegio etc. as long as it's tastefully done.

When I was beginning this journey I concentrated on speed, and as far as my picking style goes it's basically standard alternate style...the difference comes when I change strings, if I am running through a scale say from low to high starting on the low E string, (3 notes per string for example) i'll start with a down stroke then up then down...so far so good...when I shift to the A string I repeat the same picking sequence...down / up / down, I continue this for as long as I am heading in the same direction down the neck ( or towards the floor if that helps). When I am running though a decending scale it is reversed...up / down / up...next string...up / down / up etc.

I originally figured that this would save any extra movement in my picking hand and indeed when I';ve spent some time in the wood shed I can blaze through some scales, it also translates nicely to sweeping.

My problem is that when I want to do fast scale fragments where there are a lot of turn arounds, I lose control at the point I am changing directions in the scale.

In the past week I have been practicing the TRUE alternate picking technique, that is; in an ascending 3 note per string scale...down / up / down...next string...up / down / up...next string...down / up / down...etc.

I can see where the turn-arounds will be much less problematic, but MAN !!
    I 've been playing long enough to know that it takes a while to develop a new technique but this is frustrating!! I know it can be done because I see and hear others doing it but it seems like my picking hand is bouncing all over the place....sooo much more movement than before...will this tighten up??
    Will the speed and accuracy ever come??

Do any of you pick the way I used to?? if so, are you seeing the same problems I am?

Any info / help / encouragment would be greatly appreciated !

and again sorry for rambling on....

Scott
    '86 Jackson USA SL-1
    Ibanez RG hardtail
    Vox AD60VTX
Working...
X