Practice routine help. --HELP!!!--

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Practice routine help. --HELP!!!--

Okay, It's summer and I plan on playing ALOT of guitar. I am working on a solid practice routine building on a whole bunch of things.
    I so far have these, which I will split into time within 2 hours, although I plan on playing 6+ a day:

• Lesson book (reading music)
    • Picking exercises (improving speed)
    • Scales (location of roots, patterns, applications etc.)
    • Lesson from Magazine/ other instructional book
    • Jamming with CD/ Learning a new song
    • Free Time (writing own music etc.)

Do you guys have any suggestions on ways to make it mroe effective, things to add on. I plan on doing both rythm and lead oriented lesson kinda things. Any input on building a routine would be great...thanks.
    TOUQUE ROCK...EH???? I AM CANADIAN

Re: Practice routine help. --HELP!!!--

Originally posted by Kamanda~SD
    Do you guys have any suggestions on ways to make it mroe effective
    Yea, cut off 4 hours from your practice schedule everyday!

Unless you're *really* that dedicated and you're absolutely sure that you can practice 6 hours a day without giving up, dont' even try. Chances are, you won't be able to do any serious work after an hour or 2 anyways - I know I can't. 6 hours of practice = 1 hour of practice and 5 of noodling around.

Gutiar practice should never be tedious, and should never feel like homework - of course, the more you practice the better you get, and tedious work is fundamental, but if you overwork yourself for 3 weeks and leave the gutiar for the next 3 weeks, you've just done more harm than good - both to your playing ability and to your interest in guitar.

That being said, I do hope you can do it You have a lot more dedication than I've ever had towards the guitar.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuthbert

Unless you're *really* that dedicated and you're absolutely sure that you can practice 6 hours a day without giving up, dont' even try. Chances are, you won't be able to do any serious work after an hour or 2 anyways - I know I can't. 6 hours of practice = 1 hour of practice and 5 of noodling around.
      yep, that sounds just like me when I was taking lessons..lol...
      Splawn QR
      Splawn 4x12 w/greenbacks
      Splawn 2x12 w/ CL80s
      George Lynch Skulls n' Snakes Sig ESP w/JB trembucker

My Cover Band
      My Gear Pix
      My SPLAWN Clips
      My SPLAWN Vids/Homepage

Comment

Hmmm, thanks guys, I'm really inspired right now to learn, learn and learn, but I have been known to do that whole practice, the nfind myself noodling. Thanks for your advice. I plan on starting on Monday...

Comment

Last summer i managed to get a good 8-10 mabye 12 hours some days, everyday of practise, but i found the ehardest stuff was where you had to REALLY concentrate, like trying to learn theory etc reading music. Im finally finished school and I plan to go on the the guitar institute in england in a year or 2 but first i gotta get better lol.
          As of late tho i cannot motivate myself for more than a few hours but i have this guitar workshop thing coming up that my guitar teacher is doing so hopefully that will get me back on track

Good luck man!
          Marshall JVM 410C
          Mesa Boogie DC-3
          ~2010 USA G&L Legacy Special/S-500 bastard-child, Tobaccoburst.
          1996 USA G&L Legacy, Honeyburst, SSS , Dimarzio Injector/Kinman AVn69/AVn69
          2007 USA Gibson LP Studio, Stock PUPs
          2005 USA EBMM Silhouette Special,Hardtail , Tobaccoburst,SSS Stock PUPs
          1999 USA Peavey Wolfgang,Flame Cherryburst Trem
          2005 MIM Fender Tele, Hotrails/Stock Neck
          1997 Yamaha Pacifica 812 EMGs

Comment

10-12 eh?? Good thing this isn't a competition, hahahha. We'll see how the first week goes.

Comment

Originally posted by Kamanda~SD
              10-12 eh?? Good thing this isn't a competition, hahahha. We'll see how the first week goes.
              lol. you gotta workk your way up to it tho..At first 3 hours seemed like a freakin marathon
              Marshall JVM 410C
              Mesa Boogie DC-3
              ~2010 USA G&L Legacy Special/S-500 bastard-child, Tobaccoburst.
              1996 USA G&L Legacy, Honeyburst, SSS , Dimarzio Injector/Kinman AVn69/AVn69
              2007 USA Gibson LP Studio, Stock PUPs
              2005 USA EBMM Silhouette Special,Hardtail , Tobaccoburst,SSS Stock PUPs
              1999 USA Peavey Wolfgang,Flame Cherryburst Trem
              2005 MIM Fender Tele, Hotrails/Stock Neck
              1997 Yamaha Pacifica 812 EMGs

Comment

I can't even remember the last time I sat down for disciplined practice!

Just don't bore yourself - allow yourself some time to just noodle about
                A few choons

Comment

same here RGS...I haven't really 'practiced' in the strictest sense of the word in probably 11 years..when I stopped taking lessons...yeah, I 'work' on things, and songs, now that I'm in a coverband, but mostly, I just friggin' play play play play...

since this is kinda on topic, is it just me or did it seem, at one point in your playing careers, that one day it's just like BAM, I'm better???

at first it was a steady progression..but when I look back, I remember being ****ty....then I remember in the period of a day or two that I was just so much better than before...

maybe I'm not making sense..lol...hard to explain, but this has happened to me a few times...
                  Splawn QR
                  Splawn 4x12 w/greenbacks
                  Splawn 2x12 w/ CL80s
                  George Lynch Skulls n' Snakes Sig ESP w/JB trembucker

My Cover Band
                  My Gear Pix
                  My SPLAWN Clips
                  My SPLAWN Vids/Homepage

Comment

Originally posted by shreder75
                    since this is kinda on topic, is it just me or did it seem, at one point in your playing careers, that one day it's just like BAM, I'm better???
                    yeah i kno exactly wat u mean. i felt the same way. i felt like i sucked then i made like exponential progress. now i feel like ive plateaued and i really have to practice and work at it to get better.
                    [SIZE=1]Guitars:
                    Gibson 2001 Les Paul Classic Premium w/ SD JB/59N
                    Fender American Deluxe Strat (still stock SCNs)
                    Takamine Acoustic

Amps:
                    Marshall AVT 50(on the bay)
                    Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue

Comment

Originally posted by shreder75

at first it was a steady progression..but when I look back, I remember being ****ty....then I remember in the period of a day or two that I was just so much better than before...
                      I know exactly what you mean, that happened to me recently
                      Last edited by Rotten Guitar String; 06-30-2005, 10:27 PM.
                      A few choons

Comment

Originally posted by Rotten Guitar String
                        I know exactly what you mean, that happened to me recently
                        That hasn't happened to me in the longest time! =P I don't feel I'm any better now than last year.

Comment

I´ve done this all my life, been playing since i was 12,im 17 right now, and i play absolutley everything, from jazz, to neo, classical, rock, etc, etc. I never said ¨ok ill practice at least4 hourss¨. I never do that, just play as much as u can, and i never organized what i was going to learn, and now i have great first sight reading, improvise on all the fretboard, picking, sweeps, tapping, jazz improvistion, modes, ear training, and as i studied a lot of harmony i compose orchestrated music whether classical or for a jazz big band. So i suggest play as much as u can, and when ur fingers get tired, transcribe a solo on music notation, then, read a harmony book, etc.
                          GOOD LUCK!!!!!

Comment

Thanks, I just want to improve my chops like mad and I'm really motivated to do so. Also, there was the one time a little while back where I thought I wasn't improving at all, then I listened to a recording of a Jam and WOW, I realized how much I've improved.

Comment

Working...
                            X