Dude, Pimp my Dokken!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dude, Pimp my Dokken!

thanks to jammermatt, here's my lead over the backing track...thanks man =)

great lead, RID =) sounds like you had some flange on there too...
    Splawn QR
    Splawn 4x12 w/greenbacks
    Splawn 2x12 w/ CL80s
    George Lynch Skulls n' Snakes Sig ESP w/JB trembucker

My Cover Band
    My Gear Pix
    My SPLAWN Clips
    My SPLAWN Vids/Homepage

Comment

Ah that sounded great with the backer Shreder75.
      I just used my Two Faze phaser on the slowest setting.

Comment

thanks, RID =)
        very cool effect..who makes that pedal?
        Splawn QR
        Splawn 4x12 w/greenbacks
        Splawn 2x12 w/ CL80s

My Cover Band
        My Gear Pix
        My SPLAWN Clips
        My SPLAWN Vids/Homepage

Comment

Check my sig

Comment

that's a pretty cool lookin' pedal, RID...sounds good too =)

right now, I don't have any fx, other than the reverb that's built into my head..amp head that is...lol...

once I unload some of my old line 6 stuff and get my new cab, I'll probably get some fx with the money I have left over...
            Splawn QR
            Splawn 4x12 w/greenbacks
            Splawn 2x12 w/ CL80s

My Cover Band
            My Gear Pix
            My SPLAWN Clips
            My SPLAWN Vids/Homepage

Comment

I wish I could play as well as all of you! That's exactly how I want to learn to play. Any advice or anything?
              formerly n00b

Comment

Great playing everyone!!!. I've posted a version of this before. You can find it here.......

In My Dreams Solo
                GUITARS
                STRATS: Custom Strat - Lil 59/Classic Stack/Hot Stack, Jackson Fusion - C5/JB Jr/JB Jr, Kramer Pacer Custom - CC/SSL-1/SSL-1, Schecter V-1 Plus - C5/SSL-6/SSL-6, VH1 Strat - 59, Fender Partsocaster - C/PG hybrids

LESTERS: Edwards Sykes Custom - DD/DD, Edwards Custom V/white - JB/59, Burny Floyd Rose Les Paul
                AMPS
                Engl Screamer 50 combo + V112 Cab, Splawn Competition, Marshall 1982A & 1982B, Marshall 1960A.

Comment

Originally posted by n00b
                  I wish I could play as well as all of you! That's exactly how I want to learn to play. Any advice or anything?
                  my advice? play y our ass off..lol....I haven't actually 'practiced' in God knows how long..I used to when I first started playing...got the basics down...modes, techniques, etc, etc...then I just kept playing...and here we are, 15 years later...
                  Splawn QR
                  Splawn 4x12 w/greenbacks
                  Splawn 2x12 w/ CL80s

My Cover Band
                  My Gear Pix
                  My SPLAWN Clips
                  My SPLAWN Vids/Homepage

Comment

Originally posted by Rocker35
                    Great playing everyone!!!. I've posted a version of this before. You can find it here.......

In My Dreams Solo
                    nice lynch licks =0)
                    Splawn QR
                    Splawn 4x12 w/greenbacks
                    Splawn 2x12 w/ CL80s

My Cover Band
                    My Gear Pix
                    My SPLAWN Clips
                    My SPLAWN Vids/Homepage

Comment

Originally posted by Rocker35
                      [/URL]

Nice work! I think I do recall hearing that before. I find the riff portion right after the solo to be difficult, timing wise, it's a bit syncopated I think... however, you seem to nail it just fine.
                      Originally posted by Scott_F
                      On that day, should I ever be so unlucky, I will expect an unholy assault of pure metal mayhem attacking all my senses with a little tiny voice in the background screaming Effing Hails!

Comment

Originally posted by n00b
                        Hey nOOb, well I can only speak for myself, and believe me when I say that I have a loooooong way to go to be where I want to be, or even be in the same league as some of these other players.

But, if you were to ask the others they'd probably say, "practice practice practice." TO's been playing since he was in diapers, and I'm sure RGN, RID, Shreder et al are probably similarly wired. Myself, I started when I was 16, quit when I was 20, and started up again when I was 34!! So, I suppose it's never too late.

As for this particular clip, I suppose it's a generational thing, as you'll see the posters are pretty much 30+. This particular solo was considered one of the finest solos to come out of the mid-to-late-80's and sort of epitomized the sound and style of the day. I think it's perfect. But, that's my opinion.

I'd be interested in some of the younger guys taking a crack a this backing - with a more modern feel. Calling Nuntius and Deadskin!!! Those young dudes wail!!!
                        Last edited by JammerMatt; 07-11-2005, 09:14 AM.
                        Originally posted by Scott_F
                        On that day, should I ever be so unlucky, I will expect an unholy assault of pure metal mayhem attacking all my senses with a little tiny voice in the background screaming Effing Hails!

Comment

Originally posted by JammerMatt
                          Hey nOOb, well I can only speak for myself, and believe me when I say that I have a loooooong way to go to be where I want to be, or even be in the same league as some of these other players.

But, if you were to ask the others they'd probably say, "practice practice practice." TO's been playing since he was in diapers, and I'm sure RGN, RID, Shreder et al are probably similarly wired. Myself, I started when I was 16, quit when I was 20, and started up again when I was 34!! So, I suppose it's never too late.

As for this particular clip, I suppose it's a generational thing, as you'll see the posters are pretty much 30+. This particular solo was considered one of the finest solos to come out of the mid-to-late-80's and sort of epitomized the sound and style of the day. I think it's perfect. But, that's my opinion.

I'd be interested in some of the younger guys taking a crack a this backing - with a more modern feel. Calling Nuntius and Deadskin!!! Those young dudes wail!!!

I started around the same age as you, jammer...about 15-16..and I've gone through some phases...there were more than a few times when I didn't play for a couple months at a time...always came back to it though..my other guitar player was the same way as you...started in his teens..played for awhile, then just stopped and picked it back up...
                          Splawn QR
                          Splawn 4x12 w/greenbacks
                          Splawn 2x12 w/ CL80s

My Cover Band
                          My Gear Pix
                          My SPLAWN Clips
                          My SPLAWN Vids/Homepage

Comment

Originally posted by JammerMatt
                            Yeah, that's pretty much my favorite type of music. George Lynch and Eddie Van Halen are my favorite guitarists.

I probably haven't been practicing as much as I should, but I just finished building a Tele so now I have a working guitar I can play. I don't take lessons or anything, I learn mostly by playing songs.

Does anyone know of a website or anything with the modes clearly explained? I've seen them tabbed out but I don't really know how to apply it for playing lead... most of my lead playing overuses the pentatonic scale and I run out of ideas quickly.
                            formerly n00b

Comment

I think they have lessons on guitar.com

I noticed you have a G Flex..how do you like it? I just ordered one on music123 yesterday on closeout..got a killer deal on it...just couldn't say no..lol
                              Splawn QR
                              Splawn 4x12 w/greenbacks
                              Splawn 2x12 w/ CL80s

My Cover Band
                              My Gear Pix
                              My SPLAWN Clips
                              My SPLAWN Vids/Homepage

Comment

N00b, as JammerMatt pointed out, I did grow up in a musical household, took formal lessons fairly early (and was self taught before that), and ended up taking lessons and then clinics/master classes (whatever I can get my hands on in the time I have) until this day. Right now I'm eyeing up both Greg Howe and Alex Skolnick for lessons ...

Knowing lots of licks and having clean technique is very important, as well has knowing how to play around the guitar neck in a given key, or just outside it (to add tension). The real trick is to put it all together melodically. I've only learned about 3-4 guitar solos note for note that weren't mine. I've spent far more time trying to internalize what I've already learned, be melodic, and trying to have something original to say.
                                Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
                                My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Working...
                                X