Melodic incorporation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Melodic incorporation

I've written 3 songs for my band so far, and have had two different approaches: Starting with chords/progressions, and starting with bass lines.

Both songs have a different feel, but it has been difficult to incorporate melodies into them. Is it a better idea to try thinking up a melody, then coming up with chords to match it? I'm pretty much trying to come up with some catchy parts for our saxophone player.
    2004 50th Anniversary Deluxe American Strat, SETH-N BRIDGE, ANT 2 SURFER MIDDLE, ANT 2 DLX MINI HUM NECK

280K RS guitarworks volume pot, 250k cts tone pots, .047uf paper in oil Jensen aluminum capacitor, running D'addario Chromes 13's with wound g > Analogman Orange Juicer>Acoustic 200H Bass head> Alesis Picoverb> unknown 12'' JBL Orange car speaker

Re: Melodic incorporation

It can work both ways. I find it easier when I have a progression to lay my ideas over first though
    A few choons

Comment

Re: Melodic incorporation

Both ways could be just as interesting..Say If you wana go for the Chords/progression first.Then you have your base for a melody,Try messing around playing just the chord tones of the progression to get a feel of what the vibe of this progression could be etc..then if you went with the melody first,you could pick out the chords that would work over certain parts.
      Marshall JVM 410C
      Mesa Boogie DC-3
      ~2010 USA G&L Legacy Special/S-500 bastard-child, Tobaccoburst.
      1996 USA G&L Legacy, Honeyburst, SSS , Dimarzio Injector/Kinman AVn69/AVn69
      2007 USA Gibson LP Studio, Stock PUPs
      2005 USA EBMM Silhouette Special,Hardtail , Tobaccoburst,SSS Stock PUPs
      1999 USA Peavey Wolfgang,Flame Cherryburst Trem
      2005 MIM Fender Tele, Hotrails/Stock Neck
      1997 Yamaha Pacifica 812 EMGs

Comment

Working...
      X