Crazy Train Cover V-amp Test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crazy Train Cover V-amp Test

I've been wanting to run my new Behringer V-Amp through its paces to see what kind of recorded tones I could get out of it, so I threw together a quick Ozzy cover to try it out.

Equipment used:

Behringer V-amp 2.0. Set to a Marshall model with some delay and reverb, gain just over half. For the fills and solo I boosted up the delay and the gain just slightly. Not sure I liked that too much because imo the rhythm tones sound much better than the lead tones.
    No EQ or added effects were used on the Guitar parts. Everything is stock from the amp.

The guitar is a Squier Stratocaster with a Duncan Hot Rails in the bridge. The entire song was done with the bridge pickup.

The Drums and base are just backing tracks. During the solo section the trax have added rhythm guitar which sux, but oh well I guess.

Soundcard is a turtle beach santa cruiz

Recording software is adobe audition.

I believe the solo and first fill are basically from the tribute album verbatum. The other fills are just add lib and are awful.

Last edited by Ball&Chain; 07-31-2005, 09:53 PM.

Re: Crazy Train Cover V-amp Test

Very good!

If you did record all of this on the equipment listing...nice job making use of stuff that is not considered "top notch"....if you did the main lead break...you really choked on the second one...the first lead fill was cool...but Im wondering if the main was included on the backing track as it was very sweet...and sounded different than the others.

Id drop the levels on the drums or compress them a bit to blend better...they are drowning the rythym out....but otherwise nice job.

Now...where can I get backing tracks like that?

Comment

Thanks

You mean choked on the second fill?

The main lead is me, the backing tracks only have drums and bass for everything except for rhythm guitar that comes in during the lead break, then drops out after the solo. I put in a track of me playing rhythm guitar there also, but it doesnt dampen the guitar that is already on the track. It's a shame, drums and bass are all that is necessary, why they have to go put that damn guitar part in there?

Also the backing tracks are all on one audo track, so there is not much leveling or adjusting i can do there. For some reason the levels raise up some during the solo break when the rhythm guitar comes in on the backing tracks.
      I had to raise the levels on my solo quite a bit to compensate, which might account for the difference in sound. The rhythm guitar on the backing tracks on the solo sounds a little hollow too and seems to effect the overall tone of the clip during that span.

Here is basically how the lead parts are layed out

Fill 1 - me doing randy's fill from the tribute album.

Fill 2 - my ad-lib. has a similar vibe to randys fill here 3 notes per string run.

Main solo - again, me doing randy's solo from the tribute album

Fill 3 - my ad-lib. basically a variation similar to the first fill

the backing track came from here

guitarbt.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, guitarbt.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Comment

Pretty good cover.
        I noticed that you were only hitting the A string twice during the main verse riff. Dunno if that was intentional, but Randy hits it 3 or four (can't remember).
        Nice job on the lead though.

I thought the tone was alright, but mabe roll the bass off a bit. What were the EQ settings?
        A few choons

Comment

Yes, that was intentional. When I was setting levels to start recording, I tried a few different ways of playing it. I liked they way that sounded the best, so I went with it.

Bass was set at just over 50%
          Mids were about 80%
          Treble at a bout 75%

I was using a 4x12 cab simulation, so that probably helped produce bottom end also.
          Last edited by Ball&Chain; 08-01-2005, 04:36 AM.

Comment

Doc

Now I see what you mean by the rhythm being drowned out. I was able to listen to it through a couple different setups today and the rhythm gtr is definately down in the mix too much. It's wierd because it sounds just right through my PC speakers.

Comment

Nice man; Yeah you could use bringing the rythym guitar up in the mix.
              I like the sound.
              - Testa
              -Testa

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/9/testa_music.htm

Gear:
              -Epiphone Riviera w/ Gibson PAF Re-issue pickups
              -Fender Stage 100 pre DSP and contour.
              -Epiphone practice amp
              -Zoom 606 Multieffects pedal

Home Recording:
              Soundblaster Audigy 2 w/ interface(Home)
              IK Multimedia Amplitube Software
              Native Instruments GuitarRig Software
              Steinberg Nuendo

Comment

Working...
              X