soloing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• soloing

hey anyone have any tips for busting out your own solo, i can play just about anybodys solo just i cant really make up my own. any and all help is aprrecitated
    Originally posted by ratherdashing
    Ah yes, a Gibsom Res Paur. Good fortune comes to buyer!

Re: soloing

Do have any experience with music theory?

Comment

i dont know im 100% self taught except for 2 dvds, i know the blues scale and penatonics but nothing else really.

Comment

Well, that should be enough to start doodling around, however, when you want to get serious and be able to rely on your knowledge of guitar and music in general to improvise, you'll probably want to keep indulging yourself with snippets of theory.

I know when I started out get interested in being a lead guitarist that I would memorize these little techniques that I could make cool sounds with. That did the trick for a while - it kept me excited. But after so long with not knowing where it comes from and why it sounds good and how to expand upon it, you'll find yourself acting like an old dog with old tricks.

That's when I started getting into theory. First, memorizing the fretboard. Recognizing the notes and the intervals between the notes on all dimensions, meaning horizontally and vertically. You need to learn the harmonies between certain notes. Know what sounds good over this chord and this one, you know? Scales can definetely help you with that, so I think they're always a good start.

From there, I'm sure you can find your own way to pick up on things.

And remember, don't be afraid to sound bad. Experiment with things.

PS: Be sure to think about what you want the solo to sound like before you pick up your guitar and start busting that pentatonic. This will allow to you step outside of your ordinary and get creative.

GOOD LUCK - and have fun!

Comment

thanks alot

Comment

My pleasure.

Comment

And a good teacher works wonders too, it'll really speed up your progress. There's a lot of stuff to learn and it's easier if someone can help organize it for you.

Comment

yeah .. a good teacher can speed up the progress ... you'll have to get some scales under your fingers ... learn the patterns/shapes for major and minor (diatonic and pentatonic) scales to start ... get some backing tracks to solo over .. get use to how the notes sound over the chords ... and sing little melodies then play them back to yourself (start slow to get the hang of it)

good luck
                t4d
                gear list in profile

"no seymour - no tone ... know seymour - know tone!"

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

Play With Backing Tracks I Know There Are A Few Forumites That Have A Lot Of Those Avalible....just Listen To What You Are Trying To Play In
                  Your Head And Look For It On The Guitar....also Dont Stay Within
                  The Pentatonic Box Shapes...use Slides, String Bends And Other
                  Devices To Find New And Exciting "out Of The Box" Notes In There.

Chris
                  "Get a BIBLE: open it, read it, and believe it" - Me

Comment

thanks for all the ehlp but im really not enthused by paying some one to show me 1/2 an hour a night to teach me, maybe if i found something esle, but i prefer teaching myself, but thanks for all the help guys and or girls if any

Comment

Originally posted by dgk2448
                      thanks for all the ehlp but im really not enthused by paying some one to show me 1/2 an hour a night to teach me, maybe if i found something esle, but i prefer teaching myself, but thanks for all the help guys and or girls if any
                      i've never taken a single lesson, and i've been playing 5 years. If its any help or inspiration, i turned out miles better out of school than my mates who had taken lessons because i was 100% into the instrument. I think if you're 100% into the instrument then you'll make things happen, compared to the uninspired players out there who are just playing to get chicks. No doubt a teacher can help even more if you're inspired though and make you into an even better musician, its just an expense to me that is needless as everything you need to know is out there on google, or in a good book or dvd
                      PC: Windows XP/Vista, Intel Q6600 @ 3.6ghz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 1TB HDD, M-Audio 1010lt
                      DAW: Nuendo
                      Noise: 5150
                      Guitar: Palm Bay Cyclone

http://www.myspace.com/kevparsons

Comment

Originally posted by SOLO GUITAR STEWIE
                        Play With Backing Tracks I Know There Are A Few Forumites That Have A Lot Of Those Avalible....just Listen To What You Are Trying To Play In
                        Your Head And Look For It On The Guitar....also Dont Stay Within
                        The Pentatonic Box Shapes...use Slides, String Bends And Other
                        Devices To Find New And Exciting "out Of The Box" Notes In There.

Chris
                        Dude...

Comment

Listen to ton of different kinds of music. Although straight up classic rock like G'nR and AC/DC will ALWAYS be my favorite music I've started listening to a bunch of different styles somewhat in depth. Do yourself a favor and get some very responsive equipment so that you can hear it every time you mess something up. With a muddy rig you don't notice it and you don't improve.

Take a look at some Albert Lee videos and listen to how clean every note is and watch his attack and left hand technique. He is able to make country music (which I usually can't stand) sound great which is what separates the good players from the great regardless of genre. John Petrucci is another player I'm learning a lot from just by watching him play and listening to how clean and focused his playing is.

I find being around guys who know their stuff and being able to see them take those solos everyone wishes they could come up with is a big help. Notice how those guys only worry about they're gear when it keeps them from playing? They have what every guitar player wants and that is to be able to stand around and just come up with an original and fresh sounding jam.

There's a lot to what Kev said about a teacher possibly taking the fun out of the instrument but teacher or not you'll have to accept that a complete knowledge of music theory (or just a damn good concept of theory) is behind every truly great player. Some got it through decades of fiddling around to find out what sounds right here and there and others just buckled down and memorized the fretboard and THEN started learning scales. But, scale knowledge doesn't mean shjt if you don't know what chords to use them with.

You know when you learn a new scale but you can't seem to fit it into anything? How about when you learn some new chords that sound real sweet but your pentatonic licks don't work with them? THATS the key right there. 2 and 2 don't mean anything if you can't put them together right? The only thing you really need a teacher for in my opinion, is to learn good picking and fretting technique. If you think you need a teacher to teach you scales and chording think again. Completely surround yourself with theory books, scale books and most importantly, players who implement the exotic stuff. Prog metal and jazz fusion will play a huge role in keeping the scales and chords interesting. I just ask that you listen to bands with truly great guitar players. Al Di Meola, John Petrucci, Albert Lee are some absolute must have names IMHO.

OK I'm done.

Comment

+1 on the good teacher, did wonders for me
                            Rig:
                            ---Ibanez SZ520QM - light blue
                            ---Peavey Bandit 112

Comment

Working...
                            X