Sound Recording and Backing Tracks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sound Recording and Backing Tracks

I've heard a lot of sound clips on these boards and I'd like to make my own. What do I need in order to do this? Meaning I'd need backing music like drums and bass, and then I'd lay my own guitar tracks down. The backing music could either be from a recording where I can strip off the guitar and add my own (preferably), or pre-recorded. The problem is I'm not sure what I need! Is it a mixer, something to record with like one of the TASCAM things, etc.? Any recommendations would be appreciated. I am fairly computer savvy, and all of my stuff is midi/direct recordable I believe.

Re: Sound Recording and Backing Tracks

Well most people on here are programming their own drums and keyboards and what not. Unless someone is doing a cover no one is using a backing track. There are some programs that give you a ton of drum loops that you could use to build a song with. You have alot of options but firstly your going to need a DAW(digital audio workstation) or something that you can record onto. You could use a mixer to run line input to your sound card or you could use a USB/Firewire interface.

There are really so many options I would find some websites and start reading and find out whats best for you. Also find some equipment catalogues and look at them.
    Last edited by vinterland; 10-10-2005, 12:27 PM.
    Speak through your fingers

Comment

Thank you Vinter. I intend on buying some kind of recording device (think Fostex makes a good one), with USB capability etc. I just want to make sure I get the right one for my needs.

So I need a program to create my own drums/backing tracks/rythym section? Sounds fun! Any recommendations? Any other feedback/help would be appreciated, I'm pretty new to this stuff.

Comment

Well you don't necessarily need a drum program depending on how you are recording. If you're using a DAW you can use a drum program, or a drum machine, or you can build a drum set using drum samples right on your screen. Let me recommend www.sweetwater.com they will try and sell you stuff but they are also very knowledgeable. If you have an idea of what you might need give them a call and ask them if it will work for your setup or what else you might need. Let me reiterate they will try and sell you some more expensive equipment as they are audiophiles. Just say no thanks your just looking for a basic setup!
        Speak through your fingers

Comment

Working...
        X