Peavey bandit clips- emg 85, 81, jb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peavey bandit clips- emg 85, 81, jb

So yesterday I had about half an hour at home alone and nothing to do- so I thought I'd do an experiment. I thought maybe the bandit sounded bad at high gain because the speaker wasn't moving enough, so I cranked it up as loud as it would go without resonating so loudly it picked up on recording, stuck an sm57 on the center cone and went to it. Took me about 10 minutes to get a tone that didn't sound overly muddy and a bit to get the hooked up and stuff so I had only 10 minutes to record as many clips as possible- they're messy to be sure. I used a boss os-2 to push it.

Basically what I've discovered and shouldn't be anything new is that emgs sound like complete ass with solid state amps. The jb while sounding better was still overly flabby because it's a 1x12 open back. The only clip that came out well really was the one I knew would sound good- the clean clip. I used the os-2 to overdrive it slightly in that clip as well and it also sounded good to my ears. For distortion, this amp doesn't cut the mustard. Works well enough for practices though I guess.

Anyway, thought this might be interesting to some. Could be a good amp for someone after mostly clean tones in a solid state.
    Schecter C-1 elite(alt-5, Fullshred)
    Fender Strat (Jb jr, ssl-2)
    Mesa Boogie Rectoverb
    Marshall 1960a
    Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Re: Peavey bandit clips- emg 85, 81, jb

I have a bandit, and would never use it for anything but practise at home. Cranking it on the distorted channel makes it just fart out! With or without my rp-7 board infront of it. I guess this could be solved by using it with a 2x12 cab with it, but it really would not be worth it. I can get decent sounds out of it at moderate levels though.
    Danny Jenkins
    Metal Official Band Page - Facebook
    motiongraphics.com.au

Comment

WEll, I gotta revise the above post. Turns out my emgs were in dire need of a battery change

I was able to get a WAY better sound with em today, and although its still too loose for real recordings it doesn't sound too bad really. The page has been updated with better emg clips.
      Schecter C-1 elite(alt-5, Fullshred)
      Fender Strat (Jb jr, ssl-2)
      Mesa Boogie Rectoverb
      Marshall 1960a
      Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Comment

The best tone I ever got out of my bandit was to split the guitar signal, feed one side into the instrument channel clean, and send the other side though a distortion box with BMT eq into the CD input. The crispness of the clean channel's attack and the sustained note's distortion blended for the best Sad But True sound I could get at the time.

(I guess they are good practice amps, but at the time it would have been so much better to save another $100 and get something else)
        Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Working...
        X